Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Bad/stupid/improbable scenes of other wise good movies

[ QUOTE ]
If you'll read the link I provided, it gives a range of terminal velocities from various sources.

Try not to be so condescending and insulting in your replies. You have trouble pulling it off, and when you're wrong, it makes you look pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

no need to read the link. and i'm not wrong.

how can you say terminal velocity is constant for a falling human? what if i put my arms and legs together and point my head down? what if i then spread my arms and legs and orient my body parallel to the ground? what would happen to my terminal velocity in both of those cases?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:27 PM

I said "pretty much." When you compare the range of speeds for a human to the range of speed for the plane, its fairly narrow. In other words, Bond pointing his body like an arrow will not result in significant gains on the plane.

Now, with that out of the way: do you still maintain that a plane cannot travel towards the ground faster than Bond's terminal velocity?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing as you guys have decided to discuss this further, I will elaborate on why I hated it.

I understand the point. I hate the point. Just because it's not some absurd non sequitur doesn't mean it's not a severe flaw in the film.

You have several very well-done, interweaving HUMAN plot themes, each of which could actually merit its own (small, independent) film. The humanity is what's great about the movie. Then the frogs, a seemingly arbitrary force majure, if you will. It's dissatisfying. To me, at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your points, perhaps the point could have been made in a more subtle manner.

The movie is about taking control of your own life. To illustrate the point, the opening shows highly improbable events to show how our lives can be influenced by remote happenings (indeed, a force majure). Once the characters are introduced, it is clear that each one has a particular (at least one) flaw that prevents them from taking control of their life and moving on.

At the end, each one has acknowledged the shortcoming and has taken steps to move forward with their lives notwithstanding external factors. To highlight the fact these characters have finally taken control of their fate (or at least reconciled their problem) the frogs start hailing down ... The improbably event is happening, yet the players still are moving forward as they have finally taken control.

On another note. The movie "The Fan" which was a turd, had a terrible scene. The late inning rain storm was totally absurd. Also, if I recall correctly, the baseball scenes leading up to that kept mixing up the Giants home and away games. They would be wearing their greys at home, and whites away (unless it was intended they were to wear home jerseys at Dodger stadium).
Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you'll read the link I provided, it gives a range of terminal velocities from various sources.

Try not to be so condescending and insulting in your replies. You have trouble pulling it off, and when you're wrong, it makes you look pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why everyone else hasnt figured it out by now, but Daryn is simply a giant troll. Stop encouraging him and maybe he will go away again.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:32 PM

the ending scene of face-off is so cheesy... it's cringing.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:32 PM
 is offline

Default The ending of movie Dead Calm

I remember a thriller with Nicole Kidman. Billy Zane played the villain. Dead Calm. Kidman and her husband was on a sailboat and picked Zane-character from a wreck, and of course after that he went psycho...

The ending was just such a grand disapointment. First Zane-character dies and falls overboard. But a few moments later he returns like he was Jason or something and is now killed for the second time, he is shot by a flare right in his face. And then he is just standing there with the flare stuck in his mouth, burning with pink light. It's just plain bad. And it totally ruins the whole movie.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said "pretty much." When you compare the range of speeds for a human to the range of speed for the plane, its fairly narrow. In other words, Bond pointing his body like an arrow will not result in significant gains on the plane.

Now, with that out of the way: do you still maintain that a plane cannot travel towards the ground faster than Bond's terminal velocity?

[/ QUOTE ]

like i said before, the situation is very unclear. are you saying the plane is pointed straight down, WITH its engines firing? in other words the plane's thrust is actually pushing it vertically downward towards the earth? why would that be happening?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why everyone else hasnt figured it out by now, but Daryn is simply a giant troll. Stop encouraging him and maybe he will go away again.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was right in what i said, it's very clear. the statement i quoted of his was incorrect. anyone that actually knows what they are talking about would agree. even patrick who hates me would agree that i was right and he was wrong (about that exact statement he made).
Old 08-29-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was right in what i said, it's very clear. the statement i quoted of his was incorrect. anyone that actually knows what they are talking about would agree. even patrick who hates me would agree that i was right and he was wrong (about that exact statement he made).

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I ever say you were wrong?

You're slipping dude...
Old 08-29-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like i said before, the situation is very unclear. are you saying the plane is pointed straight down, WITH its engines firing? in other words the plane's thrust is actually pushing it vertically downward towards the earth? why would that be happening?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, so you decided to jump down another poster's throat without having any frame of reference. And then pick out parts of my posts without understanding the context, leaving you without a proper frame of reference again. Gotcha.

EDIT: Whatever, not like its this important. Sorry for the hijack.