Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Whats the play
Fold 62 49.60%
Complete 38 30.40%
Raise 25 20.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Do you take the coin-flip?

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how the responses to this poll would differ if you said you had QQ instead of 55 and were sure opponent has AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the AK might be scaring people, so what if we change the hand to be less favorable, but with no scare cards...

We know they hold 76o vs the same 55...still two overcards (but more straight combinations, so less favorable odds, but still +EV for the 5s). Granted, the propensity to muck 7s and 6s are higher than the AKs burned pre-flop, but it is nearly the same bet, no?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how the responses to this poll would differ if you said you had QQ instead of 55 and were sure opponent has AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the AK might be scaring people, so what if we change the hand to be less favorable, but with no scare cards...

We know they hold 76o vs the same 55...still two overcards (but more straight combinations, so less favorable odds, but still +EV for the 5s). Granted, the propensity to muck 7s and 6s are higher than the AKs burned pre-flop, but it is nearly the same bet, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

your 5s are blockers for some of his straights.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your 5s are blockers for some of his straights.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the odds are nearly the same as AKo, right, but slightly better (not much better because of the 5's blocking?).

I thought about it from this perspective...the guy turns over 76o upright and pushes all his clay...shows me the cards....everyone else said that if I call, they fold...I have the 5's...looking dead at his 76o...what the hell...I call.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could just leave out what the cards are and ask an equivalent question like:

would you flip an unfair coin giving you 55% equity for bets equal to 100bb's of your current game?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could just leave out what the cards are and ask an equivalent question like:

would you flip an unfair coin giving you 55% equity for bets equal to 100bb's of your current game?

[/ QUOTE ]

55% equity? Nah, I don't want it...I can't deal with the variance. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Seriously, for those who would not make this call and cite variance as their reason, you should consider switching to limits you are properly bankrolled for.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:20 AM

So you posted in here to see which way the rats would run? This post was a little 'experiment' to see how we would respond was it?

direct from the psychology forum:

[ QUOTE ]
The reasons I made the post:

#1 I am a beginner and continuously question whether or not I am making the correct decisions. I am always trying to get my money in when I think that it is a +EV situation and having lost these kinds of hands a couple of times, I am wondering if I should continue to push small edges like this one in a no limit game.

#2 I was curious how many people would take this "coin flip"? I think there is too much autopilot play and a lot of the advice on the forum follows this trend.

#3 I was curious about people's reaction to the post. The question was very basic, so did people take the time to read the post, understand the question it asked, and review all of the responses to understand why the correct play was actually correct?

#4 What was the response of the people who I consider "winning" players and was their thought process similar to mine?

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 - that is why people post questions in the SSNL forum. They want help with something they don't understand.

#2 - do people really make decisions using overly simplistic methods for arriving at their conclusions? hmmmm...

#3 = I am curious what insight you gained about the way people reacted to your post? Do they read and take the time to understand the question? How can you tell? Most people who read the post and responses never replied and yet may have indeed followed the discussion fully and with absolute clarity. Do you plan on posting a statistical analysis of your findings?

#4 - The crux of the issue perhaps and the only "real reason" behind the poll. You posted a simple question when you knew the 'correct' answer. You simply wanted validation from players you consider superior to yourself.

So, having read your reasons for posting, I am at a loss to see what 'purpose' you had in posting. I did note that your own response to those who took a position contrary to received wisdom was one of condescending superiority.

At best your post added to the noise, at worst it was a condescending, ill-conceived, mindless pseudo-psychological experiment not worthy of note. I hope the prior as the latter offends me.

....actually, I'm having a really bad day at the tables so I just needed to vent at something - ignore me.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:35 AM

I'd fold just from that if I knew he had AK; I also probably have tells on him that I could get him in the same type pot as a much bigger favorite. Of course this could depend on the situation at the entire table not just that one guy.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:46 AM

This thread makes me sad.

This is not a poll, this is a simple math problem. There is one correct answer and one only. There is no room for ambiguity or interpretation given the conditions explicitly stated in the OP. Only one action can be correctly argued for. A person who lacks the math skill to figure out which one or the attention to detail required to read and understand the question in its entirity has at least one fundamental hole in his game that will prevent him from ever being a winning player.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:08 AM

I resisted for as long as I could to read this thread, because I knew lots of posts would annoy me

phzon's post is the best so far IMO, although he forgot the rake

My answer: I take the coinflip if I believe myself to be a winning player, and my bankroll is over 2000BB

So basically I call, unless I'm in the middle of taking a shot, then I would fold.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:39 AM

End of thread, and I havent read the other post.