Old 11-14-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: A conversation w/ daryn re: being a teacher

[ QUOTE ]

[13:23] diablo: being a teacher
[13:23] diablo: and playing poker
[13:23] diablo: that would be [censored] THE LIFE
[13:23] diablo: benefits

[/ QUOTE ]

just described my life. Finishing up the college part, but ya..
Old 11-14-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this is massachusetts where people are generally better educated and you have to have a masters degree to teach

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

being better educated does not make one a better teacher necessarily. Heck, I'm a better teacher in terms of having my students understand the material than many professors (I'm getting certified soon and I work as a tutor). The professors may be more knowledgable in the subject area, but it doesn't mean they're good at teaching it.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 AM

I recommended to poster Mike Emery the same thing. Being a teacher overall is good work.

Also, he could get a master's degree in math and teach at a lot of colleges.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this is massachusetts where people are generally better educated and you have to have a masters degree to teach

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

being better educated does not make one a better teacher necessarily. Heck, I'm a better teacher in terms of having my students understand the material than many professors (I'm getting certified soon and I work as a tutor). The professors may be more knowledgable in the subject area, but it doesn't mean they're good at teaching it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, if you had more knowledge, you'd be a better teacher. Its a fact.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to have a PhD to be a great teacher. It's also possible for a BA grad to be a better teacher than a PhD holder. I'd rather not elaborate.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to have a PhD to be a great teacher. It's also possible for a BA grad to be a better teacher than a PhD holder. I'd rather not elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think what he is saying is sailing over your head
Old 11-14-2005, 10:53 AM

Well that's just eerie. I have been having thoughts of just scraping by through school and becoming a teacher. I would love to teach algebra-calculus.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please go on. I'm in the process of an all nighter and am tired
Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please go on. I'm in the process of an all nighter and am tired

[/ QUOTE ]

he is basically just saying, if teaching ability is held constant, the more knowledge you have, the better teacher you will be

in other words.. you are a great teacher.. fine whatever.. but if somehow you took a pill and your knowledge doubled, surely you would become a better teacher!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:59 AM

ok, let's spell it out. He is not arguing that the person with more education is inherently better at teaching than those who have less education. He is arguing that increasing the level of anyone's education will also increase their level of teaching ability.

basically, you have said you have good teaching abilities, if you had more education, you'd have even better teaching abilities.