Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: And while we\'re criticizing . . .

[ QUOTE ]
. . how do you get picked off second base with the bases loaded?

I once saw Willie Davis get picked off first base with the bases loaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember seeing Scott Bradley (help me out M's fans if I'm wrong on the name) get thrown out at home on a single to right when he was on third.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some managers want their baserunners to be agressive out there, so they may teach their players to try to get bigger leads. While some managers may want a more conservative approach so they would like smaller leads.

This is probably true. What I'm contending though is that the size of your initial lead with a runner on third (and most of the times without a runner on third) does not matter at all, much in the same way your initial lead off of third base does not matter at all (which in my mind can't be contested, yet is miscoached [or not coached at all] virtually everywhere at every level).

[/ QUOTE ]

We are bumping heads here, so I don't really know where to go with this. I will just refer to my early statement about coaching/playing style and end it there.

As for the sliding thing, you are probably right, but I wonder how hard it is to rely a message to a runner on where to slide. I suppose they could develop some sort of system but who knows. It always seems to me that the best place for a runner to slide into home is outside with a your back hand, but sometimes it calls for a straight slide right in. I dunno, this all seems really hard to know which and where to slide at home when its basically a split second decision.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:32 PM

We are bumping heads here, so I don't really know where to go with this.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not really trying to argue here. I just enjoy talking baseball strat.

As for the sliding thing, you are probably right, but I wonder how hard it is to rely a message to a runner on where to slide. I suppose they could develop some sort of system but who knows. It always seems to me that the best place for a runner to slide into home is outside with a your back hand, but sometimes it calls for a straight slide right in. I dunno, this all seems really hard to know which and where to slide at home when its basically a split second decision.

Yeah, it's usually outside with your left hand or outside headfirst kicking your legs out and catching with your left hand, but often it's inside with your right right. It completely depends on where the throw to the plate goes, and the runner really can't know that unless the ondeck batter's doing his job.

GoT
Old 10-07-2004, 03:28 PM

Here is my take for what its worth. Molina did not see Bellhorn slip and then decide to fire the ball to second. Bellhorn was in La-la land the previous couple of pitches which gave Eckstein the heads up to play near him. That or Eckstein realized he was taking way too large of a lead after the pitch. I am leaning towards the first scenario. Eckstein then must of relayed whatever sign to Molina or to the bench for a throw to second base. Since Bellhorn was napping he totally was not expecting the throw. Once he saw the throw he was like "Oh crap" and hastily tried to get back to second base. In that hastiness he tripped (almost as if he was asleep and the alarm clock went off right next to him and jerked his body back to reality). FWIW I am almost positive he would of been out anyway even if he didnt stumble on his attempt getting back to second base.

It was 2 outs, bases loaded with David Ortiz at bat.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:35 PM

your scenario is entirely possible.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:48 PM

If that's what happened, Bellhorn is a total bonehead who strikes out too often and should be burnt in effigy on Landsdowne Street. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 04:22 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
. . how do you get picked off second base with the bases loaded?

I once saw Willie Davis get picked off first base with the bases loaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember seeing Scott Bradley (help me out M's fans if I'm wrong on the name) get thrown out at home on a single to right when he was on third.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about when the sox almost successfully threw out benji molina at first base when he singled into right field.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:24 PM

thats been done before, plus Molina is a slow fat catcher.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:02 AM

Used to be a catcher named Ernie Lombardi, played in the '30s and '40s, now in the Hall of Fame, great hitter, won two batting titles (I think). According to Bill James, people who saw him play say he hit the ball harder than anybody. And that he was the slowest runner ever. Supposedly, he got thrown out on first on line drive singles to LEFT field. James has a great, long story on him in his Historical Abstract.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:36 AM

Default Cox brought in Smoltz with the Braves trailing today

Because he knew he had to win the game and, therefore, had to give himself his best chance to keep it close. Scioscia made a mistake not doing the same last night with Percival.