Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: This is tough to write

I would be willing to bet, after a period of adjustment, you probably will be a better player than you ever were. The worst thing that could happen to you had happened already. They say the best poker players are fearless. You are not going to fear losing, you have already lost something far more important than poker ever could be. Yes in your emotional state taking a break or playing lower is the best advice. But IMO eventually something is gonna click and when it does you will find yourself as a better player than you ever were. Again, this is every fathers worst nightmare and we feel for what you are going through.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:12 AM

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your loss. I don't know what I would do if I lost my daughter, I just hope I never have to find out.

As for your poker career, take time off. Take at least a few weeks and maybe more if you need it. You need time to grieve, everybody does, but in a few weeks the hurt will still be there but you will start to learn to cope with it and try and piece your life back together. If you are still struggling to get back to the tables in a month maybe you can start to worry but until then just forget about poker.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:49 AM

As a great poster and an obviously greater father, I hope your future is much brighter and your years on this planet are filled with joy watching your other children grow up.

If possible, PM me any information on contributions to any charity or foundation you've set up in honour of your child.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:44 AM

I read this yesterday and could not think of a damn thing to say. I still can't. I have a two year old daughter and a 4 month old daughter and just the thought of losing either of them brings me to my knees. I cannot begin to imagine the pain you are going through. I think it will take a long time before you are able to focus on anything for more than a few minutes. When my best friend died 12 years ago (when I was 24), I was a complete wreck for months. Having a child die has to be much worse, though at the time I couldn't imagine anything would be worse. Take as much time off as you can. Having friends and family around helps a lot.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:21 AM

I've read this thread three times and I don't know what to say aside from I'm sorry.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 AM

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

I do have some idea how you feel. My wife and I lost our first child (a son, Michael) shortly after birth and the loss and pain grow less over time but are always there, usually tucked away and sometimes without warning a little closer to the surface.

Take some time to grieve. It is natural and healthy, but do not feel guilty about working eventually no matter if it's poker, flipping burgers, trading stocks or whatever it may be to provide income for you and your family. I know playing poker for a living is a bit different but the sad fact is that unless a person can afford to take a huge amount of time off they eventually have to get back to what it is they do to make a living. It is hard to do, but when there are others to consider you do whatever it is you have to do to provide for them.

One small bit of advice learned from personal experience. Make sure to pay attention to how this effects your wife and be especially supportive to her. When we lost our son it effected us for a long time and we barely made it through the years that followed. Women grieve differently than men and things like this hurt them for longer periods of time. I made an assumption that things were OK after a period of time because I was OK (or at least better than I had been) and things seemed OK. I was mistaken and should have been far more supportive of my wife the lasting grief she felt at her loss.

I am not in any way trying to minimize the grief you feel or will feel down the road. This is a hard situation and will most likely have lasting effects.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. It is sad that anyone has to go through something like this.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:57 AM

I read 5 words, I can;t reead any more. I have an 18 months old son, and am tearing up just from that.

Many condolences
Old 07-06-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read this thread three times and I don't know what to say aside from I'm sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of the same for me. What can be said? Very sorry for your loss. Let us Seattle area posters know if we can be any help in any way.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Well, THIS looks interesting

Was s/he that big a troll? 3 posts indicate the person was a coward, unless they were banned.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:35 PM

Default I\'m sure it is

Your situation forward is going to be difficult as well, especially if that poker income is required for your family.

If you can financially take a break, do so. You're in no shape to play- no point in draining money on top of your misery.

GLTY and yours