Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: First, Do No Harm.

The answer is clear:

1) You didn't really want an answer to your question, you knew in your mind what you thought was right and you did it. [censored] our opinions.

2) You should go into medical practice for yourself.

Yes, #2 is facetious, but come on trip. Even if I agreed with you, I would still have to tell you you're making Mount Everest out of a freaking tablespoon of sand. They were going to TAKE HER TEMPERATURE. Once you tell me what is so dangerous that you had to "protect" her from, then maybe I'll see a little bit better on this. Until then, I'll let you and your perfect 2-for-2 medical record in telling doctors to stop doing what they're doing have your moment.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you are the one sounding like a moron here.

[ QUOTE ]
Wait til they have kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got 2 kids. If they are sick enough to go to the hospital, they are sick enough to endure diagnostic procedures.

My kids never want to take their medicine. Should I just let them not take it because they'll cry when I try to give it to them? Should I buy them toys and candy at the store because they'll cry and have tantrums if I say no?

I agree with a previous poster that the risks here were probably small in this case, but wouldn't you sleep better knowing that trained professionals used the proper techniques to help find out what is wrong with your kids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Proper techniques my ass.

Again, why don't they have a $69 electric ear thermometer for toddlers? It makes no sense.

The nurse was a moron. The kid wasn't going to let it happen. You think you can shove a thermometer up a kid's ass who is squirming and screaming and kicking and fighting? You really think so? You think you can just tell them "Hey, I'm your dad now listen to me and take your medicine!"

If so, I have serious doubts that you are actually a parent, because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure nurses aren't making anything up as they go along.

They are employees in a highly regulated field subject to constant threat of litigation. They are also not doctors nor hospital administrators, and know that full well. They simply do what is the accepted medical practice in their facility, and have little to no say about it.

Again, don't shoot the messenger. Take it up with the A.M.A. or something if you think it's a sily standard. Regardless of whether you do or don't, it has nothing to do with the nurse, and it's assinine to call her a moron.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fthis post is not about me being homophobic, or having issues with the anus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, if you say so...

[ QUOTE ]
it's about doctors/hospitals not standing up to the insurance companies, even going so far as to take unnecessary tests on an innocent child...and not just the simple ones. pathetic, if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you addressed this suddenly burning issue by taking yoru daughter away from the very medical care you must have been convinced was necessary for you to even have gone to a hospital in the first place?

You sure know how to pick a dumb time to go on crusades.

But we know that's not realy what your post and feelings are about at all, don't we? You didn't remove your daughter from the premises before she got the very care you had intended her to receive as some kind of suddenly inspired bizarre political statement, did you?

Don't worry, your daughter would still have been "innocent" and virginal even if she had lost her precious rectal virginity to the horrors of a hospital thermometer administered by a trained professional.

I'm sure neither the nurse nor your daughter would have given it much more than a few seconds' thought if she had her temperature taken that way, whereas you're still thrashing about and mortally offended by the very idea of it days later -- and I suspect further days to come. This issue was never about your daughter or your daughter's health(a sad thing, really), nor about your feelings about the medical establishment or tort reform, now, was it? It was all about you. And a homophobia so deep and unreasoning you would even run out of an emergency room with your sick daughter before she got care just to get away from the fear of it.

It may have been quite a blessing that you had daughters and not sons.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:32 AM

Does it bother you that there are now 10 pages discussing your daughters anus
Old 04-13-2005, 11:18 AM

So how did your wife do in the tournament?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:59 AM

It isn't so they can save money on their insurance. Taking someones temperature is a very good way to learn quite a bit about what is wrong with them. If they don't take the temperature that would tell them that this "ear infection" is possibly a symptom of another more serious disease so they prescribe the wrong antibiotic or other treatment.

The presence or lack of as well as magnitude of a temperature can carry alot of information.

The fact that you are in an emergency room means they are going to check the patient out thoroughly -- and every patient will get the same 13 tests ( I don't know that it is really 13, but that is a nice number ). And a rectal thermometer is the standard and most reliable method of taking ANYBODYS temperature -- but most adults really have a problem with it. Ear thermometers have a great deal of error on their reports and in this case that range of error is unacceptable. An oral thermometer on a 1 year old.... nah, not gonna happen unless you really like the idea of mercury poisoning.

You need to get over the idea that you know better than the doctors what the proper procedure is. BTW, taking a rectal temperature is not particularly "uncomfortable" for a child. They lube it up and it is pretty darn thin. The only discomfort here is your idea that there is something "perverted" going on.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:53 PM

What does your wife think of all this?

Or how about your parents (if they are alive) or your friends?

Do all of them support your decision to leave?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does your wife think of all this?

Or how about your parents (if they are alive) or your friends?

Do all of them support your decision to leave?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing someone must have told him this was crazy and that's what led to this post.