Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2002, 12:10 PM

Default women are from venus!?!??!

What planet are you on?

The general line, so far as trend following, is that you will lose money on three out of four trade, make maybe one homerun in every 12 trades, and cut your losses - with the trend - the second it goes against you!

How can you get wrecked when news goes against you when you are the one using the stop order? A trend follower is the first one out!

Maybe you are thinking of counter-trend scalpers - meaning they exit counter-trend - seeing as selling small winners and holding big losers is thw only way you can skew your wins/losses around to more wins but bigger losses. But anyone fast enough to scalp pops is going to be the last person getting caught in news.

Frankly, what you described sounds more like the counter-trend idiot at channelingstocks.com.

leroy
Old 01-14-2002, 04:42 PM

Default overnight gaps against your position ....

right through your stop loss.

Stop losses work most of the time in limiting your losses unless there is like a 50% gap down on overnight news.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:08 PM

Default Re: overnight gaps against your position ....

Personally, I seldom trade markets that don't trade 24 hours. i.e S&P futures,bonds and currencies unless I am net long options.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:49 AM

Default notice, all other strategies safe from gaps [img]/images/wink.gif[/img] *NM*