Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Is there a single person who would lay this hand down?

[ QUOTE ]
In response
a) There are many flops to which I would have laid down here. Since my call is premised on high pockets, any K or Q on the board and I'm out of there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? With a king on board you could be sure you were't against AK? didn't you play for AK to come along?

With a Q on board, you could be sure you weren't against AQ or KK? Or any other pair hoping you had AK and missed?

His play is more in keeping with wanting you to fold rather than trapping you.

[ QUOTE ]
I have no reads and such generalizations are important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads are over valued at this level. They will help you maximise your ev, but paying no attention with good fundamental play and assuming you are against typical ops will also produce a big winner.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:13 PM

the thing is, poker plays in these cash games always have to be done from an EV perspective. theres no doubt that calling at these stakes is +EV. there is way too much of a chance he is on a big bluff or a marginal hand. this type of behavior from an average/bad player is much more likely than him pushing with a 2 pair or better hand here. you will be hardpressed to find an idiot that would push here with a made hand. when bad players hit their hand, they are much more like to make an illadvised slowplay than a horrible overbet/push.

also, you can list out the possible hands that MAY push here, and see which ones he beats and which ones he doesnt.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 PM

Generally, only the most weak tight donkey would fold AA to that push. Heck, if you normally fold AA there, then any opponent you re-raise could call and push in on flop with any 2. And in general, you will be bullied a lot.

Normally, on these ratios, a big hand would not bet allin and give you the opportunity to get away as cheap as possible.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:41 PM

Default This is my longest thread ever!

I'd like to thank all those who made this possible. You all mean so much to me. This has been a dream come true...

hehehehe [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] yeh I'm not stable, 75 days 23 hours 49 minutes till Mammoth is open, then things will get better
Old 08-27-2004, 02:25 PM

Nope, I don't fold.

His play works against exactly two hands that you could be holding: AA and 77. Every other hand folds or is beating him.

I do think your line of being done with the hand if a Q or K hits is wrong, because most players would push with KK and many would push with QQ pre-flop. A jack or ten hitting would scare me, and a JT flop might end the hand for me if I faced a strong bet from a player who I think is strong. But that's rare at these limits.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:50 PM

KK 50%? If I have KK, make it 5x the BB and somebody comes over the top of me, I'm pushing in right there.

What makes you so sure he doesn't have a set of jacks?

Having said all that, whenever an opponent tells you that you played it wrong (unless it's a buddy) they are wrong. Well, either they are wrong, or they are right and they should shut up about it so you make the same mistake again.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you so sure he doesn't have a set of jacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you so sure he does have a set of jacks? You have to be very sure to fold.

He beats many hands that make this allin, and loses to only a few. I'd expect any hand that beats him to check, in general.

Again, if you fold AA here, it is profitable for your opponent to call with any 2 preflop and move in on flop. I would also guess anyone that folds the AA is prone to being bullied.