Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Button on Internet Explorer, can you say Invasive ! !

You missed some:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute.1]
@="IECmdExecute Class"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute.1\CLSID]
@="{B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute]
@="IECmdExecute Class"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute\CLSID]
@="{B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute\CurVer]
@="IEExtension.IECmdExecute.1"

In this next one it's only an added value, not the entire key (and incrementing the NextID counter):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\CmdMapping]
"NextId"=dword:00002002
"{B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1}"=dword:00002001

I just deleted all of them - no more toolbar entry. I agree with you though - I don't like *anything* installed on my systems without my consent. But you can see the problem (and it is a problem)based on most of the responses. ie "Who cares?". As long as people take that attitude the companies will just keep doing it.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM

This isn't TurboTax. It's online poker software.
In fact, it's probably illegal in your state. Actually, if you're in Utah, it sure as hell is explicitly illegal. I'm not saying it's great crime against humanity, but it's not selling girl scout cookies or saving the f&%#ing manatees. Why do you expect them to adhere to what is expected of more socially acceptable companies? Many, if not most, of their clients are clientele are breaking the law by using their software.
If you're an IT guy, and you're concerned about what software is being installed, would you let anyone in your company install Party Poker on a company-owned computer?
I would say that most people don't care about this. They may find it annoying, but, like myself, it won't keep them from playing. Party may catch some flak for it, but any "real" negative backlash (people leaving the site and not coming back), would be limited to a small minority: people like youself who actually care that much.
And, as we know, Party (correctly) couldn't give two s#%^s about what the minority thinks, because there's no money in appeasing 5, 10, or even 100 people.
It's kind of a standard deal, actually. You downloaded and regularly use illegal online "gambling" software; don't be suprised if they do something (very minor) like this, even if you don't think it is the most respectable thing.
Also, the whole invasion of privacy idea is kind of silly. It's not a silent protection scheme, it's not spyware, it's not the boogy monster. It's a damn shortcut. The put one on your Desktop and Start Menu too, but I haven't heard any complaining about that either.

Just my two cents,
Mooney
Old 03-05-2004, 02:25 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Party Poker Button on Internet Explorer, can you say Invasive ! ! !

get over it you crybabies
Old 03-05-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Installs it on your other users too, with your PP login! Suckkks!

You don't want guest users to log into your account.

This is pretty bad.

D.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Installs it on your other users too, with your PP login! Suckkks!

On my system (Windows XP Professional) the IE button was installed for all users, but the login is still only on my own account. If you're running Windows 9x/ME you have no real security anyway. I find the installation of the button annoying, and I would prefer that they (and others like yahoo instant messenger, AOL instant messenger, etc.) ask first, but I don't think it's the crime of the century.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:03 PM

whenever i come across things like this i always ask myself would i like the perpetrator to be shanucking my wife under my nose

ok, i know it has nothing to do with it but it kicks off my imagination and makes me forget about my humdrum life
Old 03-05-2004, 04:07 PM

Default You guys are funny

When it was reported that party was scanning everyones computer to see what applications were running, no one cared and it was shrugged off.

Now they install a little button and everyone is outraged. I personally think the former is more intrusive than the latter.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:51 PM

Winning players, many of whom have little or no need to hide their avocation, won't be nearly as upset about this as losing players who go to lengths to conceal their vice.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:09 PM

This doesn't bother me nearly as much as them putting an icon on my desktop, the top of the start menu and a folder on the start menu, every time they update the software. Then Empire does the same thing 2 minutes later
Old 03-06-2004, 06:33 PM

I don't give a sh*t about the button. But they raped the rebuy function. Now it's a pain in the *ss to rebuy. It's really annoying. I always want to have the max amount of $$$ on the table. When I play $100 tables for example and I call a small raise. Let's say $10. I want to rebuy for $10 right after that hand. So I can play with the full $100. It was already very hard to rebuy. When you tried to rebuy during a hand you would get a pop-up saying something about you'll get the money after the hand is finished. But that never worked. So when you played HU, you would never be able to rebuy. I don't know if they fixed it. But now you've to type in the amount. I get weird amounts. When I take a seat, I get amount to buy: 100.00.000? When I type $100 and then ok the amount changes to $100.000? WTF? VERY annoying!
I want the rebuys to go smoothly for several reasons. I want fish to rebuy, I want to have enough money to win a big pot.
Some of my friends tell me, why don't you try to win? So you don't have to reby. They're so funny, wait untill I see them next time. I'll do some kung fu [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] LOL
Message to Party: fix this problem.
When I lose my all-in and I'm tilt. I want to be able to rebuy right away. This is just not possible at party. Why don't they get some real engineers to work on the software.
And the thing is, I can't go play somewhere else like most of you guys say. This site is just too good to be true. Only the software and support is (let's say) "below average)