Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2003, 10:01 AM

Default Tournaments that resemble cash games the most

Hi,

I find myself doing well in cash games on Stars but continuing to struggle in tournaments.

What type of tournament formats (1 table, 2 table, etc.) most resemble cash so that I can book some wins?

I'm happy to take wins in tournament dollars - would multi-table satellites be a way to book easy wins for a player with a cash game mentality?

Old 12-31-2003, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Tournaments that resemble cash games the most

I guess a winner takes all tournament would be the closest to a cash game, in the sense that you are always playing for chip EV in such a tournament. The main difference will be the rising blinds and the gradual reduction in player numbers.

Next would be an event like a satellite in which all the prizes are equal. Many tournament considerations do not apply in this situation, although there is a premium on survival late in the tourney, which is unlike cash play.

If you take your wins on Stars in tournament dollars, you're going to have to win some more tournaments to turn them into real dollars! Or do they let you sell them?

I have found the PokerStars $36+3 satellites for the Sunday $200 tournaments pretty good, and I think I play a better cash game than tournament game; when I'm on the ball, anyway.

Guy.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I find myself doing well in cash games on Stars but continuing to struggle in tournaments.

What type of tournament formats (1 table, 2 table, etc.) most resemble cash so that I can book some wins?

I'm happy to take wins in tournament dollars - would multi-table satellites be a way to book easy wins for a player with a cash game mentality?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about "mentality" but the more players there are, the more you are playing full tables like a ring game.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:44 PM

the more players there are, the more you are playing full tables like a ring game.

That's very true, and is another point in favour of the multi-table satellites: there's often no need at all to play short handed in them, as the tables keep getting rebalanced and by the time you're down to a small number of players in total, you've won a seat anyway.

Guy.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:00 PM

If you're solidly in the "cash game" mentality, I'm really not sure how well you'll do in tournaments. I say this because there are some major differences in doing well in a tourney and doing well in a ring game. The "gap" concept is the main example of this I can think of right now. I'm sure other posters have some others.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:02 PM

I don't think any tournament is going to resemble a cash game very much, even of the same type. (i.e. NLHE tournament vs. NLHE cash game) Some of the reasons are:

In a tournament, when you're out you're out. In a cash game you can reload. Major difference and the impact of this changes strategy at different points in the tournament.

Blinds increase in a tournament, but don't in a cash game. This coupled with the fact that when you're out you're out leads to some major strategy differences.

You win or lose in a tournament based on when you lose all your chips whereas in a cash game it is based on how much you win or lose (and I'd add over the long term.) The goal of a tournament is to last the longest, or to look at it another way to knock out as many of your opponents as possible before you are knocked out. How much money you win is decided by the payout schedule in a tournament.

Sklansky's Tournament Poker For Advanded Players starts with the assumption you are a good cash game player and then goes into the differences and the strategy adjustments that must be made for tournaments. If your cash game strategy is sound, I'd suggest you read this book.