Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2003, 10:24 AM

Default Did I Miss a Couple of Big Bets?

The Scene: Two 15-30 tables on Party Poker last night. Games are a bit loose and not too aggressive (some pf raising with cold callers, but not much reraising.)

The Problem: If it is true that the key to HE is making the most of numerous small edges, I'm wondering if I'm leaving money on the table. These two hands are somewhat typical of my river play.

Hand #1: I was dealt A5spades in the small blind. After two early limpers and a mid position raiser, I liked my almost 6-1 odds (assuming the limpers are calling) and called the $20. The big blind folded and the limpers called.

The flop was a J with two fives in what would have been a beautiful rainbow hue if we had been playing a four-color deck. Representing a J, I bet out right away. The first limper folded, the second limper raised and the pf raiser folded - we are now heads up. I reraised and he capped. At this point I'm sure he has a five, JJ would have most likely been raised pre-flop. I'm planning to check call the turn and bet out the river, hoping he'll raise me on the river.

The turn was an 8 or 9 - not likely that he's filled up yet. I check called.

The river was a 6. Hmmmm...56suited would surely be a limping hand in this game. I checked and called.

Should I have put in more bets on either the turn or the river?

Hand 2: I was dealt JJ with one club in mid position and open raised. Only the utg limper called. We're now heads up.

The flop was a Q and two 9's with two clubs. He check called my bet and we saw a turn of the Ace of clubs. We both checked.

The river was another club (6, I think). He bet and I just called with the second nut flush on a paired board.

Should I have bet out on the turn with my ok pair and the second nut flush draw? Alternatively, should I have raised the river?

BR