Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Strange line that everyone hates

[ QUOTE ]
Uhh, I would think that AQ is behind almost all of the hands that a typical player will raise two limpers with. Unless the button is a lunatic you're rarely going to have any significant edge in pot equity against his range, and you're out of position with a hand that has absolutely no implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on the player. If he's a loose raiser and will call a lot of the time, reraising AQ is bad because you bloat the pot and are out of position with no pair. If he's a 2+2-style TAG, reraising AQ is good, because you'll take it down preflop most of the time and on the flop a good amount of the time as well, not to mention the times you actually hit a hand and get action. In a 6-max game, AQ is a premium hand. I'll raise tons of hands from the button after limpers: suited Ace, suited Broadways, suited connectors, pairs, AK/AQ. AQ has great equity against a range like that.

Edit: I should probably clarify that a bit. I'll raise with a lot of hands if the table texture is such that I take it down preflop or with a flop c-bet a lot of the time. Against calling stations, I don't like to raise hands like 22 and A3s from the button. AQ has huge equity against a button raiser some of the time, and very little some of the time. You have to judge the way the table is playing.