Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Best Skiing in Western US

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Telluride - one of my favs - though it's been 5 or 6 years since I've been.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Yeah telluride is on my list of places to check out this year...they're hurting for snow so far though. I hear great terrain, though.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 PM

If you have any desire to hit the Pacific Northwest, Mount Baker is excellent (especially since it's on your way to Whistler). But my fave in Washington state is Mission Ridge. Driest snow in the state, since it's on the east side of the mountains, and the best-kept secret here. Although that could change since they put in a high speed quad.

I can't compare it to Tahoe or Colorado, since I've never been, but MR is fantastic.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have any desire to hit the Pacific Northwest, Mount Baker is excellent (especially since it's on your way to Whistler).

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost went to baker a couple weeks ago when they were getting dumped on but couldn't find anyone else that could go. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you have any desire to hit the Pacific Northwest, Mount Baker is excellent (especially since it's on your way to Whistler).

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost went to baker a couple weeks ago when they were getting dumped on but couldn't find anyone else that could go. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, that sucks. At one point in November, Baker had the deepest base in N.America...crazy snowfall this year.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bah, that sucks. At one point in November, Baker had the deepest base in N.America...crazy snowfall this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. It was sick. Really a shame.

Now it looks like the snow is shutting off til at least christmas. At least big dumps. A few 6" here and there mb but nothing worth travelling for. Then of course it's crazy times for ski areas cause of xmas break so looks like I really wont be getting out til after the new year. LAME!!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:26 PM

another vote for jackson hole here. depending on how flexible you are though I pick 5 places you would like and check snow reports.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Taos. For a strong skier (no snowboards), taos is awesome.

Who said they liked vail? vail is terrible for a strong skier. Most of colorado isso-so, but they do have good snow this year. telluride, winter park and crested butte pretty much the best mountains in CO i think. I've never been to steamboat, but heard good things about the glades, not the steeps though.

The steeps at taos is awesome. The backcountry at jackson is awesome.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:38 PM

One of my best friends from college is from Baker and he says it is amazing. Most snowfall in the US annually and always skiing fresh tracks. After the new years, I will probably ski patrol in CO for the rest of the ski season.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah telluride is on my list of places to check out this year...they're hurting for snow so far though. I hear great terrain, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to the San Juan mountains Taos is worth checking out as well.