Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Help me out: Black AA face up?

[ QUOTE ]
AA all in preflop seeing a flop against 4-5 players, all or half of them themselves all in mathematically makes me want to puke.

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldnt make you puke.

in the style of CSC

WITH AA YOU WANT AS MUCH ACTION AS POSSIBLE FOR [censored] SAKE. DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO GET MORE PEOPLE TO PUT MONEY IN THE POT. IF YOU SHOW YOUR HAND FACE UP, READ THEORY OF POKER 100 TIMES BEFORE YOU ALLOW YOURSELF TO EAT AGAIN.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:22 AM

damn, ok...

what exactly does TOP say?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 AM

if you could see your opponents cards and would play the hand the same way, you benifit. If you would have played it differently had you seen his cards, your opponent benefits. and on the other side, if your opponent can see your cards and would have played HIS hand the same, he benifits, if he would have played it differnetly you benefit.

I dunno if i explained it good, but by showing your hand you let your opponent it play it perfectly. (folding) therefor, they benifit.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you could see your opponents cards and would play the hand the same way, you benifit. If you would have played it differently had you seen his cards, your opponent benefits. and on the other side, if your opponent can see your cards and would have played HIS hand the same, he benifits, if he would have played it differnetly you benefit.

I dunno if i explained it good, but by showing your hand you let your opponent it play it perfectly. (folding) therefor, they benifit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Careful applying FTOP in tournament situations. There are certain tournament situations, even heads-up, where it would be to your advantage to show your cards before your opponents act (though this isn't one of them).
Old 12-05-2005, 09:08 AM

Let's say that you could choose between taking people on in a multiway pot or you could take them on one at a time (where you'd have AA each time). What should you prefer?

Let's say that you have As Ac and your opponents have Ah Kh and Ks Kc respectively. You all have 1000 chips. If you take them on at the same time, you're 78.22% to win. If you take them on one at a time, you're 81.71% against the kings and 87.23% against AKs.

EV on the multiway is .7822*3000 or 2346.6.

EV on one at a time is .8171*(.8723*3000+.1277*1000) or 2242.61.

So in this example it's better to take them on at the same time in a multiway pot than wait for AA against each opponent. Dunno if it holds up generally though...

That's just one more argument for getting as many opponents as possible with AA.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Careful applying FTOP in tournament situations. There are certain tournament situations, even heads-up, where it would be to your advantage to show your cards before your opponents act (though this isn't one of them).

[/ QUOTE ]

heads up in a hand or heads up in the tournament? if you mean the latter, i disagree.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are certain tournament situations, even heads-up, where it would be to your advantage to show your cards before your opponents act (though this isn't one of them).

[/ QUOTE ]
heads up in a hand or heads up in the tournament? if you mean the latter, i disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heads up in a hand.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:55 AM

In fairness to OP, Adanthar recently stated that his very first post was this same question.

OP, www.pokerstove.com DL this, plug in AA and 5 other hands.

Hand 1: 51.7889 % [ 00.52 00.00 ] { AA }
Hand 2: 11.5191 % [ 00.11 00.00 ] { KJs }
Hand 3: 08.4690 % [ 00.08 00.01 ] { 88 }
Hand 4: 14.6378 % [ 00.14 00.01 ] { 86s }
Hand 5: 07.7256 % [ 00.07 00.00 ] { QTo }
Hand 6: 05.8596 % [ 00.05 00.01 ] { JTo }

You want all the action you can get with AA.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Thanks to all for the replies, they were helpful esp the last one by CSC. In the tournament, I pushed for t4200 folded to button who called his last t2800 with QTs and hit the gorgeous KJ9 flop and scooped the pot leaving me with basically no chips. I guess my regrets were results oriented and given a similar situation I will probably just call to induce action. After getting sucked out on I thought to myself out loud, well, I'd be chip leader now or close to it had I flipped up the AA after pushing - but according to 2+2 I'd be a huge loser and I'd pretty much have to agree. No more fears of AA multiway!

Peace --