Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Passive Overpair

Villain was 29/15/56(3/2/1) (VP$IP/PFR/WSD(AF-F/AF-T/AF-R)) after 60 hands. I've seen him limp suited trash from EP. He's also open-raised and capped A6 OTB. In that hand, he bet and called a flop check-raise with split sixes, then bluff raised the turn (three flush and paired bottom card), called a 3-bet and also a river bet.

I didn't put in another raise anywhere because he could have two pair, even with this flop, and I wouldn't feel confident folding to a turn check-raise or 3-bet. Is that good, or should I cap the flop and welcome turn action from him?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Scott

PS I'm not worried about him folding a pair smaller than jacks if I cap the flop.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Passive Overpair

After the flop 3-bet, I'd be deciding between capping the flop and waiting and popping the turn. Probably I would cap the flop, because I want to put in more action against this opponent, and some turn cards would make me hesitate. (I'm not sure that's such a great reason for not waiting, though.)

If I capped the flop and Villain led the turn, I'd probably begin calling down. If he checkraised the turn instead, I'd begin calling down then.

I'm seeing a showdown against this guy.

On a less coordinated, less drawy flop, I'd be more inclined (after the flop 3-bet) to wait and pop the turn. I really would like to see two bets go in on that street.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:57 PM

Yeah, I'm waiting and popping.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:37 PM

he has a J, you are ahead, raise the turn!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 PM

Raise turn.