Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Why aren\'t you better?

Also, I don't move up in stakes entirely because I'm not comfortable.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:47 PM

I play a lot and lose focus on the point of the game. After a break I find myself realizing that the only point of the game is to win the chips in the middle and subsequently money. This can be accomplished by having the best hand or making others think you have the best hand.

Too often after playing for extended periods of time (either hours or days/weeks) I forget that the game is this simple and start getting into the mindset that I am better than my opponent and deserve to win because I started the hand with AK and he started it with 10J and I call him down just to prove that I was unlucky or something.

I play best when I think about the fact that I want my opponent's money not his respect.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a 2nd question mostly for lower limit players, if you're beating the 22s, why aren't you playing the 33s? Assume that bankroll considerations aren't a factor, unless it's too psychologically stressful to lose at the higher limit. Why do you play at the level you're at?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play STT to moderate the variance from MTTs. The last five months my income has been split almost 50/50 between the two. I've spent 10K and have about a 10K BR between Party and Stars. I 4-table the 55s when I feel like I am playing my A-game and 8-table the 22s when I feel that I need to "work", but don't feel up to my best game. Right now I play part-time, but I am taking steps to give fulltime a go.

The biggest thing that keeps me at this level is the steady money. I know there are things I need to work on, but right now I have limited time and increasing my bankroll is the key to freeing up the time I need to improve. I plan to take a hiatus from my job around the first of the year to see what I can do fulltime.

One thing I lack is a network of other players to bounce ideas off, discuss strategies, etc..I have had to plod through the SNG learning curve solo (except for this blessed forum). Hopefully, when I have the time to play more live and get out from in front of my damned computer I can correct this.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:47 PM

Dont know what work on.

Also I let the results get to my head way too much. If I finish one great set, the next set I'm over confidented making -EV pushes. If I lose all the games in the set, I'm missing a lot of +EV pushes on the next set, because I'm afraid to pull the trigger. It's not always like this, but pretty damn too often.

Ok, now I know what work on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 PM

with myself i know that i often make hasty decisions on little information. rather than sit and think about a hand for whatever reason i make a rash decision.

Pat
Old 11-28-2005, 08:03 PM

I do this too [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

I'm somewhat slow thinker, and I'm stupidly compensating it with fast "intuition moves". ..and then watching the stack going away.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm really interested in what separates a very good 215er from a good 109er.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learning to play very good pushbot bubble SNG poker is much easier than learning how to effectively combat bubble pushbotters (as much as one can).

Those who watch their opponents' play, can figure out how they think/react in certain situations, and make the proper adjustments will be the best SNG players in the long run, regardless of what the "standard player characteristics" are of their opponents.

Those who get stuck in certain "formula" will face more of a struggle in the long run, as "standard player characteristics" are always in flux (to some degree or other).
Old 11-28-2005, 08:27 PM

I agree with almost everything thats been posted thus far. Hard work, understanding bubble play, mastering bubble play, more hard work and playing all contribute.

There is an aspect of luck involved as well, particularly when you consider the 800 chip games on Party. That aspect of luck may and probably is small, but it can certainly seperate a player with a good win rate from a player with a great winrate, even over 1000s of games.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:36 PM

so how many people who have here determined reasons they're not better are actually going to go out and carpe diem this [censored] and fix it?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so how many people who have here determined reasons they're not better are actually going to go out and carpe diem this [censored] and fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]

i just dont have enough time. i can post on 2+2 a bit while i study... i cant really play poker while studying. it requires too much attention.