Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Stu Ungar hands

Another Hellmuth one...from this article Phil vs Stu

In another hand, I limped in with A-10 while the blinds were $600-$1,200. The reason that I just limped in instead of raising was that I had been raising every single pot, and I was afraid that someone was going to come over the top of me soon. When you’re running over the table, sometimes you need to back off a little bit. Stuey was in the big blind with Q-J, and he checked after the flop came down J-9-4. I was mad at myself for limping in, so I decided that I was going to win this pot no matter what. Yeah, right! There was one other limper behind me to be concerned about, but I said to myself, “I’ll ‘power play’ this pot.” I bet out $10,000 into the $5,000 pot, and Stuey called me with his top pair. There was no flush draw, so it was one heck of a call that he made. I guess that the big bet convinced him that I was weak. The next card off was a jack, for a board of J-9-4-J, and Stuey checked to me again. I fired out $20,000 on the power move, and Stuey hesitated for a minute before calling me with his trip jacks. I decided that I was going to give up again and not bluff the river, but an ace hit, for J-9-4-J-A, and Stuey checked to me again. I pondered for a moment. I had Stuey firmly planted on a pair of nines. Meanwhile, the ace had given me a pair of aces. I remember telling myself that Stuey could call a $20,000 bet only if he had three jacks, and therefore I shouldn’t bet. Finally, I decided not to “dog” my best possible card on the river. I bet $20,000 and Stuey beat me into the pot! I said, “I have an ace.” He said, “No good.” Then, he said, “Phil, you gave me $40,000 drawing dead.” So I did, Stuey, so I did!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:54 AM

One more...not sure about the source

I was watching the 1997 final table and an interesting hand came up.
Stu Ungar mingled with John Strzemp in this hand:

Stuey in the cut off seat and John in the Big Blind

Flop: Ac 4s Kc
Both Players Check
Pot:$80,000 (approx.)

Turn: Ac 4s Kc 8s
John leads out with a $45,000 bet.
Stuey Calls.
Pot: $170,000 (approx.)

River: Ac 4s Kc 8s 6s
John leads out with a $70,000 bet.
Stuey Calls
Pot: $310,000 (approx.)

John shows Ks10s
Stuey shows an Ace (my guess is with a low kicker)
Old 11-28-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stu Ungar mingled with John Strzemp in this hand:

Stuey in the cut off seat and John in the Big Blind

Flop: Ac 4s Kc
Both Players Check
Pot:$80,000 (approx.)

Turn: Ac 4s Kc 8s
John leads out with a $45,000 bet.
Stuey Calls.
Pot: $170,000 (approx.)

River: Ac 4s Kc 8s 6s
John leads out with a $70,000 bet.
Stuey Calls
Pot: $310,000 (approx.)

John shows Ks10s
Stuey shows an Ace (my guess is with a low kicker)

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember seeing a hand similar to this on ESPN classic; not sure about any of the details but assume the same hands and stuey raises pf, flop check/check and John checkraises stuey on the turn instead of leading. John puts a potsized bet on the river and stuey calls. At the break Phil Hellmuth (who is doing live commentating) calls Stuey over and asks why he called John on the river, Stuey said I knew he didn't have top pair since John tends to shove it all in with TP and his checkraise on the turn confused him into calling, since he didn't think John was capable of making a move like that with a pair+draw.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another Hellmuth one...from this article Phil vs Stu

I had been raising every single pot, and I was afraid that someone was going to come over the top of me soon.

When you’re running over the table, sometimes you need to back off a little bit.

Stuey was in the big blind with Q-J, and he checked after the flop came down J-9-4.

I bet out $10,000 into the $5,000 pot, and Stuey called me with his top pair. There was no flush draw, so it was one heck of a call that he made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, one hell of a call phil. Because someone with a hand that beats TPGK hand bets 2x the pot on that board...