Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Organ Donor
No 32 37.65%
Yes 53 62.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: If not \"Two Beers, Officer\", then what?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This could easily explain to the cop the reason he might smell "bar" on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how would you explain the alcohol on your breathe?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you talk to a cop with alcohol on your breath, then you are a moron. This is what gum/mints/whatever is for.

I'm not talking about popping 10 mints in your mouth right after you get pulled over because that would be obvious, but it doesn't hurt to have some in your car and pop a couple when you're leaving the bar.

Anyways, it's not sexy to a girl to smell beer on your breath. I almost always chew gum when out drinking. The key is cinnamon gum... it works for smell and it doesn't change the taste of your drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The alcohol on your breath comes from your lungs, not from your mouth. Gum, mints, etc., will not fool a cop, and have never fooled me as a forensic psychologist (in fact, the smell of a masking agent like cinnamon or mint just raises my suspicion).

Trust me, when you roll down your window, the cop knows IMMEDIATELY from the smell of your car that someone in it has been drinking, regardless of what you've been chewing. S/he asks questions just to investigate and confirm his/her hypothesis.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Last time I played golf I played with a lawyer and talked to him about this. His recommendation is to say that you need to talk to your attorney if he has any questions. This requires the police to shut off there video camera so the police will have basically zero evidence on you. I don't know if this is for all states or just Texas. But if you do this you probably will end of having to go to court and spend a couple grand.

If I was drinking but wasn't drunk I would just lie and say I hadn't had anything to drink and take a chance that they wouldn't give me a sobriety test. If they chose to test me I may or may not take it. Then if I got arrested I would refuse the breathalizer and all further testing from that point.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if I got arrested I would refuse the breathalizer and all further testing from that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize that's an automatic 1 year suspension of your license, don't you?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last time I played golf I played with a lawyer and talked to him about this. His recommendation is to say that you need to talk to your attorney if he has any questions. This requires the police to shut off there video camera so the police will have basically zero evidence on you. I don't know if this is for all states or just Texas. But if you do this you probably will end of having to go to court and spend a couple grand.

If I was drinking but wasn't drunk I would just lie and say I hadn't had anything to drink and take a chance that they wouldn't give me a sobriety test. If they chose to test me I may or may not take it. Then if I got arrested I would refuse the breathalizer and all further testing from that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that sying you won't answer questions until you talk to your attorney will work anywhere in th U.S. as this is based on the fifth ammendment and the Miranda ruling. What you have to balance is your chance of keeping the cop from arresting you in the first place against your ability to defend yourself if you do get arrested. Refusing to answer is your legal right, but if you do so, most cops are going to assume you're guilty. OTOH, any admission that you've been drinking, or violated any other law, will be used agaist you if your case goes to trial.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that sying you won't answer questions until you talk to your attorney will work anywhere in th U.S. as this is based on the fifth ammendment and the Miranda ruling. What you have to balance is your chance of keeping the cop from arresting you in the first place against your ability to defend yourself if you do get arrested. Refusing to answer is your legal right, but if you do so, most cops are going to assume you're guilty. OTOH, any admission that you've been drinking, or violated any other law, will be used agaist you if your case goes to trial.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked the wife (who is a lawyer who has both prosecuted and defended people for DUI). She said that during the "investigation" phase this likely would not work. Once arrested, you have rights under Miranda. So your refusal to talk would likely result in arrest. Your refusal to do the breath test is generally an AUTOMATIC 1 year suspension, whether you are eventually found guilty or not. It is, of course, possible that your refusal may prevent them from gathering enough evidence to prosecute, but again, it's easier to avoid the whole mess.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked the wife (who is a lawyer who has both prosecuted and defended people for DUI). She said that during the "investigation" phase this likely would not work. Once arrested, you have rights under Miranda. So your refusal to talk would likely result in arrest. Your refusal to do the breath test is generally an AUTOMATIC 1 year suspension, whether you are eventually found guilty or not. It is, of course, possible that your refusal may prevent them from gathering enough evidence to prosecute, but again, it's easier to avoid the whole mess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there may be some miscommunication because you definitely cannot be arrested for refusing to answer a question (Excluding stuff like your name and the information on your license) because that would be a 5th Amendment violation. The difference between the situation before you are arrested and after you are arrested is that the cops must read you your Miranda rights after you are arrested. But the 5th Amendment nevertheless still applies before you are arrested.

That being said, it might not be a good idea to not answer the cops questions because it may antagonize him and cause him to do a field sobriety test.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Yes, however you can be detained for 72 hours without being arrested. I don't recommend refusing questions before you are arrested.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there may be some miscommunication because you definitely cannot be arrested for refusing to answer a question (Excluding stuff like your name and the information on your license) because that would be a 5th Amendment violation. The difference between the situation before you are arrested and after you are arrested is that the cops must read you your Miranda rights after you are arrested. But the 5th Amendment nevertheless still applies before you are arrested.

That being said, it might not be a good idea to not answer the cops questions because it may antagonize him and cause him to do a field sobriety test.

[/ QUOTE ]

No miscommunication, just poor writing on my part. You are correct in that you can't be arrested for refusing to answer questions, as the officer requires some reasonable cause to arrest you. It's just that all he has to do is claim he smelled alcohol and you appeared to be intoxicated, and he has cause. It is my opinion that refusal to answer questions would result in your arrest.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:09 PM

Default The simple answer

How about you just don't drink and drive, [censored].
Old 11-20-2005, 02:14 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: The simple answer

[ QUOTE ]
How about you just don't drink and drive, [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]