Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Law School

[ QUOTE ]
Law school is only 3 years. Don't make a choice whether to go to law school based on that experience. Make a choice based on the utility of a law degree to you as you go through the rest of your life.

Also, a large number of the posts are focused on working at very large firms in big cities. That is a much different experience and culture then you would find in a smaller town, such as where I work. I do well and don't have to deal with a lot of the large firm politics that are referenced in the posts.

Finally, and this will probably spur derisive responses, a law degree enables you to help a lot of people, which I find very rewarding. I don't know if that is important to you. But it is nice to help a family adopt a child, assist someone to start a business, or help someone get out of a tough situation.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, lawyers do help people some. But all we really hear about is that money-hungry bastard who has a "free" x-ray station set up outside of the chemical plants telling people they have pleural or pulmonary lung disease.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:39 PM

Well this is all a bit discouraging. I'm gonna be taking my LSATs this year and am(was?) really excited about the law school experience. I was looking at UNLV law school and going into sports/entertainment law or gaming law. In all of my reading it basically says, UNLV's a new school so it doesnt have a lot of respect yet but you'll have a part in building something new.

I know everyone on here automatically thinks law schoolers are gonna be trial attorneys or whatnot, but to me there are way more options out there to what I want to do. PS, if any of you guys currently in law school wants to PM me and give up some of your time, I have a few questions for you.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well this is all a bit discouraging. I'm gonna be taking my LSATs this year and am(was?) really excited about the law school experience. I was looking at UNLV law school and going into sports/entertainment law or gaming law. In all of my reading it basically says, UNLV's a new school so it doesnt have a lot of respect yet but you'll have a part in building something new.

I know everyone on here automatically thinks law schoolers are gonna be trial attorneys or whatnot, but to me there are way more options out there to what I want to do. PS, if any of you guys currently in law school wants to PM me and give up some of your time, I have a few questions for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't let this thread discourage you. If you really are interested in law, and want to be a lawyer, and aren't just doing it because its a "default" after undergrad when you have no other plans, you'll do fine. And for all the complaining in this post, I seriously have never met a poor lawyer, who wasn't voluntarily poor. I have met a few lawyers who voluntarily took low-paying public service jobs (because they are rewarding), but I have never met one that seemed to be under-employed. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:28 PM

I'd avoid law school. From the look of things, I see you more in the service industry. Like fast food.

[censored] Michigan.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Life is way too fukin competative; everyone just needs to relax.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. There are some people in law school who think like this, but not many.

[ QUOTE ]

So, I'm wondering, to those in Law School or those who went to one, does it suck?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, I think so.
It depends, I guess. You can make some good friends, like in any professional/ post graduate school. But it's not exactly fun.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it pretty much all work with very little time to do whatever the hell you want? Are the majority of students Type A personality shmucks?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, yes it is. There are very few cool people in law school.
[ QUOTE ]

A quote from one of the speakers was something to the extent of, "You'll work very hard, and occasionally you'll have fun." Now, obviously these speaker dudes get off on trying to intimidate people, but I have heard similar rumors previously.

[/ QUOTE ]You work as hard as you want to. Obviously, people in law school are above average intelligence and are used to succeeding without much work. So, when you force them to compete against each other it ups the ante quite a bit.

The whole competition thing inhibits learning and growth, if you ask me. And the rigid law school system churns out depressing robots.

I think there are some schools that have changed the method so you should look there.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:42 PM

First off, I have not read any of the replies, so if this may have already been said. I heard that a lot of times for law school, medical school, and maybe even other graduate programs (such as MBAs etc...) that they try to scare you. That is, they try to scare people to weed out the week and find out who really wants to become a doctor, lawyer, nurses, etc... My aunt is a nurse and went through similar things at nursing school seminars, and a friend of the family is a doctor and said that at the med school seminar the speakers said things like "95% of you in this rooom will never become doctors." It sorta reminds me of when I used to play high school basketball. During tryouts the coach worked us so hard because he wanted to see who would stick around. The first day of tryouts we would do so much running, and then on day 2, many of the kids wouldn't show up. And since there is only 3 days of tryouts, if you miss one day you are pretty much gauranteed to get cut.

Anyway, if you want to be a lawyer, then don't let this stuff scare you because that is what they want to happen. A friend of a friend who is currently in law school said that the first year or two is hell, because they want to push people out of the program. But once you make it through that, then you're in. I think his exact words were, "after the tough part is over, the question is whether you will graduate, or whether you will graduate with honors," because the teachers don't want you to fail after the initial tough part.

Hope this helps your decision making.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 AM

I am a 3L at an ivy league law school.
I promise you the answers to all of your questions are talked about in my Law School Dropout's Poker Blog
Especially the posts I made when I first talked about taking a leave of absence from law school last Fall.
Read it - I think you'll like it.