Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: matt maroon book???

Yeah I have read a fair number of his postings on his website. He obviously has a thing about 2+2 which I don't get.

As for the 30% vs 15% quote, I think he was claiming that 30% can still be profitable (but not optimal) [which most would agree with] and the second statement seems to be saying that the profitable hands left out by a 15% VPIP player are worth more than adding the extra unprofitable ones to get to 30% [controversial but not absurd]. Or he was just talking out of his tooshie because it's his own personal blog.

But while most of his blog isn't that interesting in terms of poker theory, I remember coming across a few things that suggested he "got" limit poker. (One thing I remember is that he advocates playing only 1 or 2 tables at a time, focusing on getting specific reads on all players. While this does not maximize hourly rate at the given instant, the ability to continually improve can lead to a substantially higher hourly rate in the future.) The author has played a lot of Party 6-max, so hopefully he has figured out a thing or two interesting to say about SH.

Anyway, I'm not sure how good the book will be, but it seems worth the $10 investment. This book (like any other) should be read with a critical eye, but I think it's worth a read.