Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Need Life Advice Bad

Money may not buy happiness, but it does create options. I'd rather bust my ass in my 20's and save up some money than goof off (which I did) and then be stuck in your 30's in a job you hate (like me) because you have a family to support and the job you currently have is all you are qualified to do that pays decent money.

Another thing to consider - in your 20's you are still full of vigor. You can work 10-12 hours, go out at night and still get up in the morning. I'm 33 and while that ain't old, there is a definite difference in my energy level from when I was 23.

My advice is to suck it up and take the job. Live on Top Ramen for a few years. In 5-7 years you can walk away from that job with enough saved to pay cash for a nice house (prob not in NYC, but in many cities in America). Then you can start your business (be it poker or something else) on a solid foundation, not with scared money.

Lastly, remember to count your blessings. Not too many new college grads are looking at making $100K+ 2 years into their 1st job. And don't ever underestimate the value of having F you money. It can make all the difference in the world. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Need Life Advice Bad

I know I couldn't do this for 5-7 years. I doubt I could do it for two. I hate going things I don't like, and that hate eventually spills over in performance. I'm 8th in my training class out of 80 on the exams, but I could easily be at least top three. It is so hard to stay and do more and more when you hate it. I may not be able to continue my current level of performance.

A similair thing happened when I switched to a finance major. I went from As to Cs. Not for lack of ability, but because I hated it so much I couldn't put up with it.