Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Restating the Paradox

please ignore my last sentence. I can see it makes no sense.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:50 PM

Hold up. Before you can start to argue whether or not there is a god, you have to define a god. What is the nature of god? What is it that it can/cannot do? Only positive concepts will do, i.e. things god CAN do. We cannot ask what it cannot do (negative definitions). This leads to a fallacy exemplified by St. Anselem, which defines god as "that which nothing greater can be conceived". To continue, this undefined god has to exist in reality, because if it exists only in your mind, you can conceive of something greater; a god that exists in reality, so in order to be the greatest thing that can be conceived, it has to actually exist.

Give me a list of traits and I will show you why they are all contradictory and prove nothing. And hopefully you will not still believe in a god that cannot exist in or out of reality.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:26 PM

I was just curious as to where premise #1 came from - that God is Omnipotent, etc. If what you're saying is that God is omnipotent because God is that which nothing greater can be conceived, then I for one can't conceive of anything close to perfect. Who can? This Anselm arguement for God doesn't make sense.