Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: No balls in my son\'s sack. He\'s 6. Surgery needed?

[ QUOTE ]
You It doesn't sound like one of those things that you have to be wheeled into the emergency room for right away.

[/ QUOTE ]
Testicular torsion is a true surgical emergency. The boy is at increased risk for this condition. Sounds like they are Medicaid-eligible, as well, which might make this an affordable proposition.

I think you are combining refractile testes and true undescended testes in your comments.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 PM

I'm sorry, as I say, I'm no expert and no doctor. My understanding was merely that he had undescended testes with nothing wrong with them. If he had something already wrong going on besides the simple lack of descent, I definitely wouldn't be saying perhaps you could wait a few weeks or a couple of months. I was just thinking that if there's nothing going on that isn't a true emergency or immediately significant, the financial consequences of surgery to an unemployed guy could be fairly devastating. If he can qualify for Medicaid or something, that would change things too. I wouldn't want him to leave his son sick or injured, of course.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:26 PM

I was just trying to make the distinction between lack of descent (ever) of his testes (which is something that ought to be taken care of sooner rather than later if possible) and retractile testicles (which strongly tend to pop back up...due to an exagerration of a reflex called the cremasteric reflex).

If it's the former case, then I think you are presenting far too cavalier an attitude about it. If it's the latter, then I'm considerably less concerned.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:30 PM

I should think that being a virgin and knowing that ballsacks contain balls are fairly distinct.

But that's not the purpose of my post. I wanted to talk about a related experience I had. When I was young, I remember going to the doctor. I have no idea how old I was - maybe 7, maybe 12, I really don't know. I remember the doctor feeling around my nuts. This was very uncomfortable. I did not like some old guy feeling around my nuts. His hands were cold. Understandly, I tensed up, and the act of doing so caused some mucles constracting that lifted my testicles upwards. (BTW, I can still do this. Everyone can do this, right? I assume I'm not some testicular-lifting freak, if I am, let me know.) Anyways, this doctor ends up telling my mom that I have some condition where my testicles haven't descended or are partially descended or something like that. Fortunately, nothing further was done and no one tried to cut me around there. Whether this is because my doctor said not to worry and revist the issue later, or because my mother was smart enough (or negligent enough) to ignore him, I don't know.