Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: King of hearts, queen of diamonds

[ QUOTE ]
I'd seen UTG lead flops with top pair, less than top pair, and various draws, especially in short pots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think UTG is capable of releasing a pair of Ts? Am I the only one wanting to raise the flop?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nobody raises the flop to give flush draws incorrect odds ?? Is my hand too strong (nut OESD, two overcards, back-door flush draw) to want to narrow the field at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

flush draws are not folding here...and the pot is too small to be raising the flop.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should raise preflop, check the turn, and call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming pre-flop play is what it is, nobody raises the flop to give flush draws incorrect odds ?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Is my hand too strong (nut OESD, two overcards, back-door flush draw) to want to narrow the field at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have nothing to show down, so I don't want to narrow the field, I want to get paid when I hit my draw, as I am quite convinced it is my only way to win.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Raise the flop. You have a bunch of equity, a raise is almost for value if you get some cold-callers, you might buy the button and clean up backdoor heart outs and overcards (hands like Q6, K6, or some gutshots that dirty your overcards might fold).

Also, raise pre-flop, check the turn, and call the river, as everyone has said.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nobody raises the flop to give flush draws incorrect odds ?? Is my hand too strong (nut OESD, two overcards, back-door flush draw) to want to narrow the field at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

flush draws are not folding here...and the pot is too small to be raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. We have a very strong hand at this point, and raising is likely to help us more than anyone here. We may even do great things like get the hand heads-up against a flush draw when we in fact have the best hand. If we have some clean overcards our raise is almost for value. Pot size is small, true, but since our equity is likely to be so substantial here we can raise quite liberally even in small pots. In general, it is better to raise or fold bets from the immediate right, and my tendency is to raise whenever it is clear we have substantial equity in the pot (like greater than 25% or so).
Old 10-12-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop. You have a bunch of equity, a raise is almost for value if you get some cold-callers, you might buy the button and clean up backdoor heart outs and overcards (hands like Q6, K6, or some gutshots that dirty your overcards might fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

My first instinct is that this is wrong because the pot is so small. But since I value you're opinion, maybe I am missing out on these opportunities.

Do we raise because we have 2 overcards along with our straight draws? I assume you would just call if you had JT on a KQ3 flop.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. We have a very strong hand at this point, and raising is likely to help us more than anyone here. We may even do great things like get the hand heads-up against a flush draw when we in fact have the best hand. If we have some clean overcards our raise is almost for value. Pot size is small, true, but since our equity is likely to be so substantial here we can raise quite liberally even in small pots. In general, it is better to raise or fold bets from the immediate right, and my tendency is to raise whenever it is clear we have substantial equity in the pot (like greater than 25% or so).

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely with this. I was confused that the flop hadn't been discussed by the previous posters.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do we raise because we have 2 overcards along with our straight draws? I assume you would just call if you had JT on a KQ3 flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this was not directed at me, and I'm certainly not of the caliber of most of the regular posters, but that was my thought process. My raise with K-Q could make my overcards good outs; with 10-J in your example I would just call because I'd have to hit my draw to win...