Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Pre-Flop

Standard 3x raise here is the best play IMO, I personally never open-limp from EP unless it's a lower buy-in and I have a middle pocket pair and am confident I wont get reraised pre-flop.
If I were to open-limp in this tourny, it wouldn't be with AKo, though if I had a real aggressive table I might do it with AA-KK if I thought the caliber of play wasn't so high that the move would be transparant and I would be then able to reraise all-in before the flop.

So I raise to 300, looking to flop TPTK.

Now, if I get re-raised pf.

If MP, MP+1 or CO raise me all-in pf and there are no callers, unless I have a read indicating otherise, I call (if they raise me less than all-in I re-raise). I feel they are looking to double up with less than 15 BBs and their range for a push extends to include 88-QQ, and I have odds to take the coin-flip, and hands I dominate like AQ and perhaps AJs.

If a pf re-raise comes from a larger stack, the decision is obviously complicated. Assuming I get re-raised to 900, if the re-raise comes from one of the blinds, I would be inclined to call it and play position after the flop.
If the re-raise comes from anywhere else, I think I'd have to at least consider pushing pre-flop. For instance say the button raises to 900 and now it's 600 for me to call, I would be tempted to re-raise and try to pick it up right there.

If I get re-raised all-in by a stack large than mine and there is one or more callers, I would be inclined to muck my hand. I'll still have over 20 BBs so there is no urgency and I feel that with a re-raise and a call, I am probably beat.

Finally, if I get re-raised all-in by a stack larger than mine and there is no caller, and assuming I have no real reads, I could go either way. Since I don't have a read on the villain, I would base my decision on my skill relative to the field. Am I a good enough player to outplay these guys and make the final table even if I don't get the best cards all the time? If so, I might muck. Conversely, if I feel I'm going to need to get lucky to get deep in this thing, I would probably try to double up this hand.

EDIT: lol, when I started typing this I think there were 1 or 2 replies after the OP (didn't read 'em), in the time it took me to write this reply, this thread grew 2 pages long.