Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Help down 8k this year

Change name from "looseshark" to "TAG Shark". It really is that simple.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:19 PM

I think you really need to introduce some discipline into your Poker "hobby".I consider myself a knowlegeable novice having only been playing for 4 months.I devote about 30hrs a week to my hobby split 1/3 playing,2/3 reading everything I can find about Poker theory.
I started with $30 & have now turned that into $250.I began at the bottom with freeroll mtt,s 1c/2c limit and 10c stt,s
and slowly moved up to now playing 10c/20c nl & limit,$1 to $3 stt,s and $1 to $6 mtt.
Biggest win $380 2nd place in a $6 $1250 gteed,$300 of which I pulled out and bought myself something nice so I am now playing for free.I will never move up a limit until I feel confident of winning consistently at my current limit.
Good Luck.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you really need to introduce some discipline into your Poker "hobby".I consider myself a knowlegeable novice having only been playing for 4 months.I devote about 30hrs a week to my hobby split 1/3 playing,2/3 reading everything I can find about Poker theory.
I started with $30 & have now turned that into $250.I began at the bottom with freeroll mtt,s 1c/2c limit and 10c stt,s
and slowly moved up to now playing 10c/20c nl & limit,$1 to $3 stt,s and $1 to $6 mtt.
Biggest win $380 2nd place in a $6 $1250 gteed,$300 of which I pulled out and bought myself something nice so I am now playing for free.I will never move up a limit until I feel confident of winning consistently at my current limit.
Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice job. Your next step is to start posting some hands here.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:18 PM

Here are my observations from your post:

1) Hero may have a gambling problem. You have shown some restraint by "feeling sick" and taking some time off. It's likely that you only have a slight problem (no more than the typical poker playing American).

2) It's likely that hero is not a winning player. This implies that hero is likely to need some improvement to become a winning player. Hero needs to work on his game, study, review his hands and others. Hero should be playing the smallest limits possible or freerolls until he can demonstrate that he is a winning player. Pokerschoolonline.com might be a good place to start.

3) Poker is about more than playing well. In your case poor bankroll management has contributed to your problem. I wanted to share some advice with you that I received from a very winning player.

...NP, man. FWIW, I got to the point that I am at by myself and with the help of the boards. Also, I'll tell you this - poker is about discipline. Discipline in Hand selection, game selection, BR management, Hours invested, and approach to the game. 60% of the players know what the right play is. Seriously, a LOT of players KNOW how to play good. However, they just aren't disciplined enough to do it. They get loose, they don't want to fold, they'd rather play games with lower EV, etc. Good luck to you,

With a $300 bankroll, poker is a hobby as the value of your time is probably worth considerably more than the number of hours you can play on this. It might be a good idea to put some limits on this hobby, but it is likely to cost you quite a bit in terms of time and money to become a winning player, and even then its likely to be a hobby for the same hourly reason.

Best of luck.

-Donkutus.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I been playing poker for about a year, and I am down about 8k so far. I can't seem to balance my bankroll. I played anything from $1 to $200 MTT and SNG. My home is at pokerstar. So far I earned about 3k from makeing the final table, but I got nothing to shown for. I feel sick about my game right now and takeing sometime off.
I am reloading my account at the end month for about $300.
Please tell me how to build my BR back up with $300. Thank you for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Learn how to type better. Seriously, though this post could be worse, it's semi hard to read and understand. A quick run through would (or should) allow you to see several really bad spelling/grammatical errors, which if fixed would make your post easier to read/understand. This matters because when you start posting responses to other people's hands (and you should soon), people need to be able to read/understand what you say so they will/can respond to you.

2.You really don't give us much detail and expect us to give you some sort of "God-like truth" answer. There really isn't a perfect solution to this at all. You haven't told us what games you played, how often, how much you cashed (total, not just one cash), how far you get etc. With $300, it's going to be hard to make it up to 8k even in a year.

3. Don't play exclusivly on poker stars. Play on party. Play party's limit games (1/2 at most). Even though stars has more tourneys with better structure, party is widely considered much softer.

4. Read here more, and don't expect a quick fix.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 PM

I would love to have you in the 200s.

Seriously, my advice would be to play at a level you can beat. If not that, a level at which you can take an acceptable loss.

I started out at the play money tables. Then I bought in for $20 on Paradise. Lost that. Bought in for $50. Lost that. Bought in for $50. Never had to reload again.

With tournaments, you don't have to play high stakes to have decent competition. By the end of the tournament, there will be decent competition. You can also satellite into bigger tournaments.

There are plenty of freerolls out there. Learn to beat those first. Then move up.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:36 PM

It seems you havent come very far at all. I would seriously advise giving up on poker. There is nothing that you've said that even indicates you know what you need to do to turn yourself into a winning player.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...NP, man. FWIW, I got to the point that I am at by myself and with the help of the boards. Also, I'll tell you this - poker is about discipline. Discipline in Hand selection, game selection, BR management, Hours invested, and approach to the game. 60% of the players know what the right play is. Seriously, a LOT of players KNOW how to play good. However, they just aren't disciplined enough to do it. They get loose, they don't want to fold, they'd rather play games with lower EV, etc. Good luck to you...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very wise.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:55 AM

Small games, lots of study. That's the only way that you can do this. Oh, someone recommended the 10+1s SnGs on Party to you. They are soft, but be careful. I had about $250 in my account when someone recommended these to me (SnGs in general, not just Party SnGs). I dropped my $250 to $2.50, real fast. Big mistake. I'm a mildly wining player now, but that was a drop that almost caused me to quit online poker. They are probably the easiest tourneys to beat anywhere other than the the $1-2 SnGs that some sites have. However, starting at these very small one's might not be bad. Once you can beat them consistently, you can move up. I'd check out the 1-table forum, but something like 30% return on investment is considered decent.

Remember, don't lose more than you can afford to. That means don't play with more than you can afford to lose. You aren't a winning player right now. If that $300 is important to you for anything other than entertainment value, don't play with it.

Will
Old 10-12-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow tough love. I'll live and learn or die as a fish. You' ll see me at the finall table. I came too dam far to quite now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beside all the good advice given to you in this thread, I think this line points somewhat towards a problem with gambling in general, and not just with your poker skill, and its actually kind of scary. I really recommend you quit until you at least have fundamental knowledge of the game for one, and I don't mean this as an insult. If you have a gambling problem, you need to get away from it before it completely ruins you, and from what I get in this thread it sounds like you might be on that road.