Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Re: What is in your NL bag of tricks?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Applying a way ahead or way behind line is another trick that players should learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i forgot one: dont fastplay one pair

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone could explain this one, another player has a possibility of learning these concepts

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to play for big pots when you have a huge hand (a set or better), and you generally want to keep one pair pots small. The reason? Because you only have one pair and the hand is thus very vulnerable. For example, if you have aces, you want to raise preflop to get it heads up. Say you get one caller and the board is Q-7-2r. You have position, so you bet the flop and he calls. The turn comes 10. He checks the turn, you might want to (and I would) check behind on the turn. this is in order to keep the pot smaller. Right now, you're probably WA/WB (way ahead or way behind). He's either got something like K-Q or most likely flopped a set on you. With just a pair of aces, I want to keep the pot fairly small and see a fairly cheap showdown, so I check behind on the turn with the intention of calling a pot size bet on the river from him (since I've showed weakness you'll often induce a bluff or a "value bet" from K-Q). Say Villain flopped a set and decides to just call the turn and then bet on the river, you end up putting a lot more money into this pot than you do if you check behind on the turn. And again, you just have aces.

So in sum, build big pots with real strong hands and try to play for small pots with vulnerable hands, like one pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean...*gasp*...play AFTER the flop with aces? Golllllllly, whoda thunk it? [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]