Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Can a Former Addict become a good Poker Player?

In my sincere opinion, I think the odds are SERIOUSLY against you for becoming a winning player. That being said, it's certainly not impossible. I just think if someone has had the same bad habits time and time again, it becomes harder and harder to change. Akin to a big time drug addict who seriously has no chance to kick the habit, they're literally incapable physically and mentally. And listen, you should NEVER ever rely on poker income from month to month, you might not make a dime in a month sometimes even if you're Phil Ivey. You have to be prepared to handle the swings, if you're really relying on winning to pay the bills, you might have the tendency to play poorly because of the tension of paying your bils on time. As a poker player I guess I can't help but think in terms of probailiites and I'd say (and I bet others would agree) that you have about a 1 in 10 chance of succeeding based on what you wrote about yourself. When it all comes down to it though, its up to you and whether or not you have enough drive. You are the one that ultimately makes the outcome whatever you choose. Just my two cents.