Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter on Cindy Sheehan

[ QUOTE ]
And, as I suspected, this thread has turned into a left-wing circle jerk of Coulter bashing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I despise the left wing with even more vehemence than I despise the right wing, so I take offense at the knee-jerk reaction of right wingers that any criticism can be shrugged off as left-wing antagonism. Fact is that Ann Coulter resorts to the same demonizing and vitriolic attacks on the left that Al Franken resorts to in his attacks on the right. Her reference to Stalinism (the greatest mass murderer in history) in describing Sheehan's actions is but one obvious example of emotional knee-jerkism rather than rational discourse.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take offense at the knee-jerk reaction of right wingers that any criticism can be shrugged off as left-wing antagonism.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe what I said is correct. If you're offended by the truth, then I don't know what else to say.

[ QUOTE ]
Fact is that Ann Coulter resorts to the same demonizing and vitriolic attacks on the left that Al Franken resorts to in his attacks on the right.

[/ QUOTE ]
One of the many reasons I don't listen much to Coulter.

[ QUOTE ]
Her reference to Stalinism (the greatest mass murderer in history) in describing Sheehan's actions is but one obvious example of emotional knee-jerkism rather than rational discourse.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is incorrect. Coulter described Sheehan's actions as "Stalinist agitprop". She was not equating Sheehan to Stalin. Again, Coulter is attacking Sheehan's behavior, not Sheehan personally.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I take offense at the knee-jerk reaction of right wingers that any criticism can be shrugged off as left-wing antagonism.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe what I said is correct. If you're offended by the truth, then I don't know what else to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can it be the truth when some of the criticism comes from non-leftwing advocates like me?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can it be the truth when some of the criticism comes from non-leftwing advocates like me?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're including yourself amongst the circle jerkers. That is not my fault. I didn't say you were a part of them, just that I knew this thread would turn into a flame-Ann Coulter thread, as opposed to my intention to discuss how the press is beginning to turn on Sheehan, as noted by articles I posted.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew this thread would turn into a flame-Ann Coulter thread,

[/ QUOTE ]

Come, now sir, is it even possible for any discussion amongst logical poeople of Ann Coulter to not turn into Ann Coulter flaming?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're including yourself amongst the circle jerkers. That is not my fault. I didn't say you were a part of them, just that I knew this thread would turn into a flame-Ann Coulter thread, as opposed to my intention to discuss how the press is beginning to turn on Sheehan, as noted by articles I posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's inconceivable that some people read the article, found it to be misleading and despicable, and stated same.

I did think the absolute line was funny, and I think Maureen Dowd's column on Sheehan sucked. Dowd is better when she's writing whimsical, satirical prose and comparing people to pop culture figures than writing about moral authority.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, the old, "I knew you would all respond predictably, haha. I posted this for a totally different reason because I'm an internet secret double special agent. It's not my fault you all disagree with me out of an irrational hatred for Ann Coulter."

I hope you fall in love with a gay Arab.

PeeWee
Old 08-23-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coulter described Sheehan's actions as "Stalinist agitprop". She was not equating Sheehan to Stalin. Again, Coulter is attacking Sheehan's behavior, not Sheehan personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bit of a logical stretch. If I described your behaviour as "dumb-down neocon Hitleresque", am I not bashing you personally?

-ptmusic
Old 08-23-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a bit of a logical stretch. If I described your behaviour as "dumb-down neocon Hitleresque", am I not bashing you personally?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the harshness with which Coulter described Sheehan's behavior (this is of course, Coulter's opinion) is leading you to believe it's a personal attack against Sheehan. You don't actually believe that any criticism of a person's behavior is tantamount to a personal attack, do you? I think the fact that it is Ann Coulter is causing you to apply a double standard.

And no, I would not take your statement as a personal attack.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And no, I would not take your statement as a personal attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop acting like a Nazi.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Kidluckee pwned by Ann Coulter

Wow, guys, Coulter's showing you up. At least when she described Sheehan's behavior as "Stalinist agitprop", a viable case could be made that Sheehan is engaging in this style of propaganda.

From wikipedia:

"The term 'agitprop' is now used more generically to refer to any form of mass media, such as a television program or film, that tries to influence opinion for political, commercial or other ends, especially if it aims to convince people through agitating their minds with highly emotional language of problems in present-day society or politics (which may or may not exist if analysed in an unbiased manner). Most people alive today now see "agitprop" as a contraction of agitational propaganda."

Now I think it's practically a given that Sheehan is using highly emotional language and is trying to incite others to action through her statements and actions. Thus the term 'agitprop' fits quite nicely. I believe the Stalinist reference was thrown in for those reading who would not now the origins of agitprop.