Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: standard postflop after UTG bluff???

It is okay to occasionally make a play like this, but it is much better to do with a hand like 87s than A8s. What you gain here is deception, if an A appears you can easily represent one, and you can win a lot of bets on a dream flop like 77x or even better 965.

Also, there is too much risk you'll end up dominated and out of position here with A8s. Although one benefit of your raise is that you might get AT-AJ to fold, but the donks will call you anyway and be correct to do so in this case.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:08 PM

the way i see it, it's pretty much table image when you make a play like this. plus you have got to realize that there's a lot of hands that could have you dominated, so post-flop skills really come in handy here. if you semi-bluff, and you miss, you gotta know how to fold it sometimes.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:05 PM

This sure looks to me like a flush that didn't want to scare you away on the turn. I'd be hard-pressed to find a hand with a 2 in it that he coldcalls in UTG+1, and it's the rare bird that CCs KK or QQ pre-flop and doesn't find a riase before the river. If he has 77, good for him though he played it like crap. I'd threebet the river without hesitation and happily call a cap. Again, if he has you beat then good for him, but his play looks overwehlmingly to me like a ridiculous flush or a really silly KQ sort of hand.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:29 PM

3-bet the river, limp pf.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:16 PM

I'm 3 betting the river. Since you raised UTG pre-flop and the K and Q of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] are out on board, and since you raised the flop, it's not obvious you've hit your flush... The most likely hands that get the nut flush after raising preflop are tied up by the board, so it's pretty hidden at this point (esp. if he has something like J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], figuring out a hand you raise w/ preflop and have made the flush is difficult). It's hard putting him on 7s or a hand w/ a 2, and I'm willing to lose 2 more bets (the three bet and his cap) if he has KK or QQ here. I think a 3 bet is positive EV here.