Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Going to D.C. next week

National Building Museum isn't far from the Spy Museum
National Gallery of Art is on the mall with the rest of them.
The Kennedy Center has free performances every day at 6:00
Old 08-05-2005, 05:24 PM

OK First, I think Arlington Cemetery will bore a 9year old to tears. The spectacle of the tomb of the Unknown Soldier is great but it might be lost on a 9year old. It’s a big graveyard with thousands of identical tombstones. Second, Arlington Cemetery is a long walk from the Arlington Cemetery metro stop and it’s uphill.

Be aware that we are currently in the middle of a heat wave with temperatures in the high 90’s and low 100’s with high humidity.

The Iwo Jima memorial is again at least a 2 mile walk from the Rosslyn metro stop. What ever you do don’t walk there at night. It’s almost 4 miles from Arlington National Cemetery, and there is no parking nearby. There is no way to walk to the IJM from Arlington National Cemetary.

The spy museum is very good, both of you will enjoy that. Take him to the Air and space museum on the mall, and the Museum of history and technology. Do the Natural history museum if you have time. Be aware that the Smithsonian Station metro station on the mall is about a 20-minute walk to the actual Smithsonian Museums (Natural History and History and Technology)

The Udvar-Hazy Center is an interesting place, but from a 9-year old perspective it might be a bit boring as it’s all static displays. My neighbor’s 11 year old boy was much more interested in the interactive exhibits on the mall. You really need a car to go out there, the bus takes forever.

The Washington Monument is great but there might be a long wait. A good alternative that a lot of people don’t know about is the Old Post office tower on Pennsylvania Ave (Federal Triangle Metro stop) There is no glass in the windows here so you actually get better pictures than out of the Washington Monument.

If you want to PM me and tell me what hotel you all are going to be at I’ll give you some restaurant suggestions.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:02 PM

How could I forget this - National Zoo
Old 08-05-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be aware that the Smithsonian Station metro station on the mall is about a 20-minute walk to the actual Smithsonian Museums (Natural History and History and Technology)

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be the world's slowest walker. And by History and Technology, do you mean American History?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Iwo Jima memorial is again at least a 2 mile walk from the Rosslyn metro stop. What ever you do don’t walk there at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious - don't walk around the Rosslyn metro at night? That's got to be one of the safest places in and around D.C./Virginia. There's plenty of places I'd say to avoid at night, or in the day, but Rosslyn - government contractors and a State Dept. prep area - is not on that list.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:35 PM

That all sounds like great advice. I will pm you later for some dining suggestions Thanks!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:44 PM

If you go to the Smithsonian Museum of History and Technology, look for a row of computers, dating from the earliest through more modern machines. If you see a 80286 machine sitting there with an 80286 chip sitting on top of the case, please pick up the chip and send it to me. I had it in my pocket (don't ask why) about 8 years ago, and thought it would be pretty cool to reach around the plexiglass protector thingy and put it on top of the case.

Now I want it back.

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-05-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you go to the Smithsonian Museum of History and Technology, look for a row of computers, dating from the earliest through more modern machines. If you see a 80286 machine sitting there with an 80286 chip sitting on top of the case, please pick up the chip and send it to me. I had it in my pocket (don't ask why) about 8 years ago, and thought it would be pretty cool to reach around the plexiglass protector thingy and put it on top of the case.

Now I want it back.

Thanks in advance...

[/ QUOTE ]

No Problem. I'll print out a copy of this post to bring with me so I don't get in any trouble if I get caught. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 09:50 PM

Grew up near DC, so I thought I'd post a serious answer to your question (although the chip story is true).

The Vietnam Vets Memorial is not to be missed.

Of all the museums, Air and Space is the best, although all the Smithsonian museums are fantastic.

Be prepared to walk. A lot.

Take in a show at the Kennedy Center if you can.

The most powerful experience is the Holocaust Museum. You need a ticket (free) because they set groups off in 15 minute intervals. From the outset, the entire experience is immersive and intense. Not for the faint of heart, but really the one of the best experiences in DC.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:12 AM

No, Don't walk around the Iwo Jima memorial at night.