Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Min-Raises... What Do They Mean? Now We\'ll Find Out!

[ QUOTE ]
I just read an article Chris Ferguson wrote where he advocates never limping into a pot. If you are up front and have a good hand then 2BB is the bet to make because you are representing strength by raising up front so people will assume that your have a good hand.

As you get to late position you have to raise more because the hands you will play will drop in strength and therefore you have to bet more to deter the blinds from playing their mediocre holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:14 PM

Probably a good idea coming from Chris Ferguson. For some reason, I don't believe he is refering to play on Party Poker SNGs.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:40 PM

Where did you hear this quote by Chris Ferguson, JCSaves?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:50 PM

It's interesting that you mention this, because I see more min raising on Party than anywhere else. I actually make player notes as soon as I see one hand shown following a min raise. I can't speak for higher stakes, but generally, the note with $11 Party players is mr=mh (min raise=min hand). Most min raises are from fish who don't know what they are doing, and make that same min raise from any position, often with very marginal hands, but raise more if they have a good one.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:02 PM

it is the Fult Tilt newsletter that they send people with articles from pros. It is called Lessons from the Pros
Old 08-03-2005, 10:03 PM

I have noticed min raises( from my experience) mean marginal hands at the 11's. They are trying to steal the blinds with a mariginal hand and dont want to overcommit there stack so they bet the bare minimum. BTW this is in reference to min raises late in sngs

-vas
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 PM

I am a 10+1 donk, and when I minraise (in post flop play) it means I have a big hand.

A big raise might scare my opponent out, and calling down might make it a bit obivous/suspicious that I am slow playing. A minraise looks like a lame steal attempt, and in my (rather limited) experience most 10+1 donks will at least call even if they have nothing (because it only costs a BIT more to call, and you're probably bluffing!), and you just might goad them into pushing all in to teach you a lesson.

e.g. from a recent 10+1, in an early round, I flop top two pair on a non scary board, villain bets something like 160 into a 100-ish pot, I minraise, he pushes all in, I call, he shows TPTK. I think this is typical at this level, and without the minraise, I don't know that I could have got him to put all his chips in.