Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: negreanu religious view?

I find the unabomber nickname to be in poor taste and have no idea why someone would either go by that nickname or do anything that might make people continue to use it. I noticed on the train wreck celebrity poker show on the E! channel that Laak hosted he dropped the hooded sweatshirt. I think that was a good move.

I think Negreanu's problem with Ferguson is that he is an atheist. I don't think Fergunson was intentionally going for a "Jesus" look, but by gosh he looks kindof like movie/painting depictions of Jesus so people call him that. I don't know for sure how he got the nickname, but it was probably others who started using it first. I really don't see how he's mocking anything.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:16 PM

As a Christian, I can say that I have no problem what-so-ever with Ferguson's nickname. As others have said, he does kind of look like Jesus. If it were something along the lines of Chris "Jesus sucks" Ferguson, then I'd find it offensive, but as it stands, it's no biggie really.

I do think Phil Laak's unabomber nickname is pretty classless. Even though he does resemble him, I fail to see why anyone would want to assume this nickname.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Negreanu's points here, but why does it seem that Negreanu is always the first to judge other poker players (and I don't mean judge their playing ability)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because he has a weblog and so his thoughts are saved and broadcast to a much wider audience than Pro XYZ sitting at the buffet being critical of other players where you can't hear it on your computer.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why does it seem that Negreanu is always the first to judge other poker players (and I don't mean judge their playing ability)? I find that annoying. He needs to lay off a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the irony of this post pretty amusing.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone else see a problem w/ ferguson's nickname?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He looks like jesus and the religious world who is offended needs to realize that the bible still exists as a piece of literature. By simply not living in servitude and acceptance of god, we are offending them, so why should this matter?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Christian, I can say that I have no problem what-so-ever with Ferguson's nickname. As others have said, he does kind of look like Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he looks like PICTURES of Jesus. I don't think we know what Jesus really looked like.

That having been said, Chris is supposedly a nice guy as well, represents himself well and had the nickname given to him. He didn't create his own nickname, like "The Crew."
Old 06-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Danny Boy is starting to wear a little thin.
He probably needs to stick to poker.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is so childish... There are millions of things in the world which might offend someone if they chose to get offended by it...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew someone who was killed or maimed by the Unabomber, wouldn't you be offended that a poker player was cheered on by that name? I sure would.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:13 PM

I actually do know what Jesus looks like.

This thread is pretty stupid. A blog is a diary other's are able to read. It's not a newspaper making claims of truth. A blog, by definition, is one person's opinion. D. is entitled to his.

Unibomber? Who cares? Should one of the Unibomber's victim's family members get upset when they see a news article on the same? Sure. But then, that's because something tragic happened to them. Stop coddling these people, they can take care of themselves. They certainly don't need some annonymous geek on the internet uselessly taking up their cause. Likely, if they did care to google the name "unibomber" they would be lead to this thread (among millions of others) and now you've contributed to their grief. Good job.

Here's more of my opinion: People need to spend more time judging their own actions rather than those of others. Myself included.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:16 PM

This is among the goofiest things I've heard in a while. If you get offended, that's your deal. Get a freaking life. If a player looks like Hitler, nickname him Hitler...who gives a flying [censored]. If I look like Bin Laden, call me Bin Laden. People have too much time and too little going on in their lives if they can worry about such trite [censored] as this. I don't care if Chris Ferguson's nickname is Chris "Jesus sucks big donkey dicks" Ferguson, it's just a freaking nickname. If he shows up to your house and starts burning crosses, then you can whine. Otherwise, get a life and shut the hell up.