Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: About shorthanded....

[ QUOTE ]
King Yoa's book is the best place to start...then HUSH definately!

-RM

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp - also read HPFAP and SSII after. Wash rinse, repeat.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 AM

Default about HPFAP shorthanded

I just reread that section last night, in my re-read of HPFAP. I actually dont particularly like Sklansky's recommendation to "play as if the top card isn't there" (p.193). Maybe this approach works if the game is heads up, but it is dubious three-handed, and suicidal if 4-handed. What struck me as odder was that the hand example involved a board with an ace as the top card, which is the LAST card that I'd ignore, since in short games, a number of players will take the "play any ace" mentality. Sklansky must have intended this advice to apply only to HU situations, but unfortunately that chapter does not make the restriction clear.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: about HPFAP shorthanded

[ QUOTE ]
I just reread that section last night, in my re-read of HPFAP. I actually don't particularly like Sklansky's recommendation to "play as if the top card isn't there" (p.193). Maybe this approach works if the game is heads up, but it is dubious three-handed, and suicidal if 4-handed. What struck me as odder was that the hand example involved a board with an ace as the top card, which is the LAST card that I'd ignore, since in short games, a number of players will take the "play any ace" mentality. Sklansky must have intended this advice to apply only to HU situations, but unfortunately that chapter does not make the restriction clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

His advice is very valid, but not for the loose and wild short hand games you and I are used to(yet) where a player will call down with any Ace. HPFAP should have been named Hold'em Poker AGAINST Advanced Players, when you factor that into the reading it makes total sense.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: about HPFAP shorthanded

Well Ive never seen this game at 5/10SH, and I dont railtard higher limits. I'll revisit the advice when I move up 10/20SH.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: About shorthanded....

WHAT?!?!? We have a shorthanded forum??? And no one told me about this???

LOL

Thanks guys for all the help.

Oh and does all this apply the same to shorthanded NL?