Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Phrases that bother you/don\'t make any sense

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate it when people say "literally" for emphasis, as in: "I literally shat my pants when that card came on the river". Unless you did, STFU with your "literally".

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with that one.
I read something last week that said, "I literally flew across the room." No you didn't, but if you did then I'm sure it would've made front page news...stop using words you don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything wrong with this, it's not that people don't understand the word "literally", it's just that they don't happen to be using it in a literal sense. There are a ton of words like that. omgomg he said "ton" but of course you can't actually weigh words!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate it when people say "literally" for emphasis, as in: "I literally shat my pants when that card came on the river". Unless you did, STFU with your "literally".

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner. I swear one of these days my brain is going to leap from my skull and strangle some motherfucker that says this.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I could care less"

People are just so dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

I [censored] hate this.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:55 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
"It was like giving candy to a baby"

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this one. It's even easier than taking it.

[ QUOTE ]
"...the whole inch"

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, that's just ridiculous.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"It's always in the last place you look."

Of course it is...unless you're stupid enough to keep looking after you found it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever seen Adam Sandler's " 10 Things that Piss me Off?" Link
Old 05-31-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with that one.
I read something last week that said, "I literally flew across the room." No you didn't, but if you did then I'm sure it would've made front page news...stop using words you don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything wrong with this, it's not that people don't understand the word "literally", it's just that they don't happen to be using it in a literal sense. There are a ton of words like that. omgomg he said "ton" but of course you can't actually weigh words!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the point. It's one thing to say, "I've seen that movie a million times." People understand that it's an exaggeration and you're just trying to say you've seen that movie a bunch of times. If you say, "I've seen that movie literally a million times" then you just look like a donkey...obviously you haven't seen a movie a million times, or even a million movies.
If you understand what the word 'literally' means then you wouldn't be using it in the sentence to show exaggeration.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're missing the point. It's one thing to say, "I've seen that movie a million times." People understand that it's an exaggeration and you're just trying to say you've seen that movie a bunch of times. If you say, "I've seen that movie literally a million times" then you just look like a donkey...obviously you haven't seen a movie a million times, or even a million movies.
If you understand what the word 'literally' means then you wouldn't be using it in the sentence to show exaggeration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not missing the point. Everyone understands the word "literally", it's hardly an obscure word.

People use words which are not accurate to exaggerate the whole time. It's not correct but unless you're writing an essay or something technical, I don't see why it should be an issue.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:24 PM

It's because flammable isn't a legit word. It's like "irregardless" mentioned upthread. It's become accepted because of common misusage.

So many people confused the "in" (part of INflame) with the prefix meaning "not," that manufacturers starting using "flammable" to label clothing and containers. The idea was that people would see a warning like "inflammable liquid" and think that the liquid was NOT combustible, leading to legions of charred illiterates.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We have a winner. I swear one of these days my brain is literally going to leap from my skull and strangle some motherfucker that says this.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 05-31-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not missing the point. Everyone understands the word "literally", it's hardly an obscure word.

People use words which are not accurate to exaggerate the whole time. It's not correct but unless you're writing an essay or something technical, I don't see why it should be an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a big issue, it just makes the person talking look like a donkey.