Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Massachusetts Seat Belt Law... unconstitutional?

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any evidence that states by wearing a seat belt you are less likely to injure other drivers in an accident that I don't know about?
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but your rear seat passenger can do a fine job of decapitating those in the front seats if they are unrestrained.

Seat belt wearing for all persons travelling in cars has been the law in the UK for years now - what's the problem?
Old 05-27-2005, 08:14 PM

Unless insurance companies are allowed to refuse to pay medical expenses for people too stupid to put their seatbelt on, I have no problem with seatbelt laws.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say these idiots are going to rack up a lot more, on average, in medical claims filed with insurance companies than people wearing seatbelts. The insurance companies are going to collect enough in rates to make a profit one way or another. Seems fair to me people should pay a higher premium if they get caught driving without a seatbelt.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:17 PM

Its $101 in Washington.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So anyhoo, the law essentially gives police the right to invoke a $35 fine to someone for not wearing their seatbelt. Isn't this law unconstitutional? To me it seems a fairly clear case of the state imposing its' will on its' residents. Is there any evidence that states by wearing a seat belt you are less likely to injure other drivers in an accident that I don't know about?
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that it is a dumb law, what does this have to do with the constitution?

Bob
Old 05-27-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any evidence that states by wearing a seat belt you are less likely to injure other drivers in an accident that I don't know about?
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but your rear seat passenger can do a fine job of decapitating those in the front seats if they are unrestrained.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, my cousins fiancee was killed cause the guy behind her didn't wear her seatbelt, what woulda been minor injuries instead resulted in death because he flew into her seat crushing her into the dash causing internal injuries.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So anyhoo, the law essentially gives police the right to invoke a $35 fine to someone for not wearing their seatbelt. Isn't this law unconstitutional? To me it seems a fairly clear case of the state imposing its' will on its' residents. Is there any evidence that states by wearing a seat belt you are less likely to injure other drivers in an accident that I don't know about?
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that it is a dumb law, what does this have to do with the constitution?

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]
My point was simply that it is the state imposes its will on its' citizens? Isn't that unconstitutional? Anyhoo I wear my seat belt generally, was just thinking about this the other day.
~Justin
Old 05-27-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]
My point was simply that it is the state imposes its will on its' citizens? Isn't that unconstitutional? Anyhoo I wear my seat belt generally, was just thinking about this the other day.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever heard of speed limits? So what if you're capable of driving at 75mph on the freeway perfectly in control of your vehicle. The state still makes you stay under a limit for your own safety, and the wellfare of others. What if you get in a head on, fly though your windshield, go through the other guys winshield and impale the passenger? How about the cleanup for the guy who has to scrub your skin & blood off the pavement? Your personal liberty to be a tiny bit more comfortable and feel free by not wearing your seatbelt is rather insignificant.

And no, I don't think it's very realistic to impale somebody with your un-buckled-in body.

Freakin
Old 05-27-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

The Constitution is not only about protecting YOUR rights ... that would be impossible. The Constitution is about balancing the competing rights of the individual, other members of society, local, state, and Federal government(s).

Your actions do not exist in a vacume, there is always a larger picture. It is very rare that one can correctly determine unconstitutionality on its face. More common is that the real answer comes from consideration of many other aspects of the problem.

There are well researched and grounded reasons for requiring motorists to wear seatbelts ... its not just because insurance companies lobbied for it. (Not to mention, if insurance co.'s save money, we all save money.) This type of law seeks to serve the good of society while imposing a "cost" of a minimal invasion into one's privacy rights (those being your choice to go without seatbelt).

Yes, the insurance companies "save" money because of these laws, but these laws also save lives AND money for the rest of us.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A cop can actually pull you over because he claims to have 'saw' you without a seatbelt on?

[/ QUOTE ]

They can in NY, and they do.

[/ QUOTE ]
in nj they can as well
Old 05-27-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]
if you find out anything, investigate motorcycle helmets as well