Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 03:32 AM

Default How do you steam vegetables.

I noticed I was getting a bit of a beer belly alright. Now if your fat equally all around thats one thing, but being thin except for the stomach is another. That just says hey I eat like [censored] and am a problem drinker.

So I decided I'd not eat fast food, not drink soda, stay away from complex carbs, foods high in acidity and sugar, and nothing processed or created in a factory or lab by mad scientists.

This brought me to buying some broccoli and some other vegetable I forgot. Problem is, I dont know what to do with them. Ive heard about steaming it but what does that mean exactly, I'm well acquanted with boiling water and putting food in it for a period of time, but steaming?

I was going to try it today but just opted for a banana instead. Now I know fruits dont have all of the vitamins and minerals of vegetables (too bad cause vegetables suck) so I need to learn to steam them and stuff. How is this done? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: How do you steam vegetables.

Avoid posting here ever again and use Google every time you have a question.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Avoid posting here ever again and use Google every time you have a question.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would do that. I would, only you didnt say please. So Im not going to. How does it feel to not get what you want because you have no manners? Did your mother raise you that way?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are now ignoring this user. You will no longer see the body of any of their posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-27-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed I was getting a bit of a beer belly alright. Now if your fat equally all around thats one thing, but being thin except for the stomach is another. That just says hey I eat like [censored] and am a problem drinker.

So I decided I'd not eat fast food, not drink soda, stay away from complex carbs, foods high in acidity and sugar, and nothing processed or created in a factory or lab by mad scientists.

This brought me to buying some broccoli and some other vegetable I forgot. Problem is, I dont know what to do with them. Ive heard about steaming it but what does that mean exactly, I'm well acquanted with boiling water and putting food in it for a period of time, but steaming?

I was going to try it today but just opted for a banana instead. Now I know fruits dont have all of the vitamins and minerals of vegetables (too bad cause vegetables suck) so I need to learn to steam them and stuff. How is this done? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a small colander, put the colander inside a larger pot, fill the pot with water to a point where it just barely doesn't touch the veggies. Cover the pot and steam away. I prefer a tablespoon of olive oil and several cloves of garlic and stir frying, but if you're determined to steam something, broccoli would be my choice too. Oh, and my wife just read me a passage form a childcare book that says you can get all of the vitamins you need from fruit alone.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:17 AM

in a steamer
Old 05-27-2005, 05:43 AM

Steamers

and

FAQ
Old 05-27-2005, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in a steamer pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they look like this:

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=steam%2C+pot/v=2/SID=w/l=IVS/SIG=12ncpcqam/EXP=1117272736/*-http%3A//www.alibaba.com/photo/10315466/Stainless_Steel_Steam_Pot.jpg[/img]

It's like a pot within a pot, where you fill the bottom pot with about an inch of water (not tap water, yuck). Then you put your washed vegies in the upper pot, which has a bunch of holes in it (see bottom photo), that allows the steam from the bottom pot to enter and cook. A directions packet should come with the steamer for exact times to cook whatever type of vegies you like.

I like to steam Chicken shu mai from Trader Joe's (in the frozen food section, see photo below). They're small chicken dumplings, which I put a bunch of soy sause on after cooking. I have a steel steamer, so I have to spread cooking oil (on the pot with holes in it) to keep them from sticking. But you can get a steamer pot made of non-stick surfaces, like the one in the photo below.

Trader Joe's Chicken Shu Mai
Old 05-27-2005, 07:20 AM

Use a big cereal bowl, put the frozen vegetables in, add 1 tbls of water, put a dinner plate on top to seal the top. Microwave for 6 minutes stirring after 3. Be careful taking the plate off or you will get a steam burn.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:00 AM

You can also buy a collapsing metal basket with a bunch of holes in it, for about $4.

E.g. this