Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: WSOP Free prize Stud Hilo

Started playing some $30 S&G have even better results out of 6
Wins 2
2nds 2
3rd to 5th 2
I believe this is because the better players are prepared to lay down their hands.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:33 AM

Thanks Aicirt, great advice as usual!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:50 PM

I think the most important thing in a hi/low SnG is to determine at what point you should start playing it like it is stud Hi. When it gets down around the bubble, you are much better off with a made hand to start then with a drawing hand in my opinion. Looking down and seeing JJ9 is better than 236 when it is down to 3 handed and the bets are big as with the low hand if you brick you are just tossing money away but if you start hi you are usually ahead for at least half plus when they brick what looks like a low you can hammer away to get them to fold.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:56 PM

Well since the tournament is a 1000$ buy in you will probably start with 1000 chips. This means the structure is probably going to fcuking blow, but I guess if you play on PP you are probably already used to this. Play A LOT of mutli table tournament to get ready if your going. I would make sure you know the structure before you go...You dont want to get there and have to start with a 10 chip ante and 25-50 limits with only a 1000 chip stack.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:53 AM

if you play and lose $$ does the best reply have to pay you %1??
Old 05-18-2005, 12:54 AM

I found this on www.worldseriesofpoker.com

The first round in the 1K and 2K events goes like this:
$5 ante
$10 bring in
$30-$60 limits

This does seem pretty high for the 1K event. Seems about right for the 2K event. So yes, I suppose the structure isnt going to be much better than it is at Party.

Aicirt
Old 05-18-2005, 01:03 AM

I don't play stud or hi-lo much but I've been reading up on it recently...

as it gets more short handed you should start playing 3-card 8s, Burried pairs with a low card up, and suited paint with two low cards. Also with hands that only go one way, like wired trips, you probably want to string that third guy in so you have some dead $$ that you can catch at least half of. and of course the cardinal rule of short handed play, play looser and more aggressive.

I'd like to know if others think I'm on the right track just so I can see how well I'm getting a hold of the game.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:06 AM

Rule #1 of winning: You can't lose if you never go all in. Make sure you have more chips than everyone else at all times during the tournament. As long as you do this one simple thing, you are guarenteed to win. Also, try to river quads as often as possible
Old 05-18-2005, 08:58 AM

As Aicirt has pointed out the structure in the $1000 event will be bad. I played the $1500 event last year and it was tough too. I'll be playing in this event this year as well as the $2000. So you'll have to settle for 2nd place money, cough, :-).

By the second level if you haven't done much you will have a stack of say T875 with a level of 50-100. You lost a few antes, bring-ins and maybe a solid call that bricked or so. Probably few will be gone by then and the average stack will be say T1075 or less. It would seem that you aren't in any real trouble but you are. You are looking at a situation where if you get involved in a drawing hand against an aggressive opponent with say a big pair and another low you may find yourself nearly all-in in the first significant encounter you have in the tournament.

The key at this stage is that you have enough chips to wait on the hand you want but the hand you want is not a big draw. The ante is only 10 and the bring-in 15. I know it is still early in the touney and it would seem like all you need is a big scooper draw to get things going. Looks can be deceiving. 2c3c4s can go very badly here if you hit say the 7c on 4th. I know you would take that situation in any ring game but here the variance may well end your tournament. Pick a better spot. Or maybe I should say pick a different spot. Wait and wait and play big made hands where you can be the aggressor. Let them draw. Any pure draw without an Ace is ill-advised, even three suited babies. These hands will generally be heads-up and your big pairs, which you gotta hate in the low-limit ring games, are your friend here. Yes, even this "early".

Just remember in this tournament it is later than you might think in terms of limits but paradoxically, earlier than you think in terms of antes and bring-ins. Adjust accordingly.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:17 AM

In tournaments you won't want to "string that third guy in", you'd much rather try to win it right away.