Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Re: books on human condition

No one knows for sure. No one has any evidence that there was no Yaqui. But that doesn't even really matter. What is improtant is that it is a remarkable work explaining the human condition better than any other work fiction or non-fiction that I have ever seen. Do you not agree?

Castaneda may have created the Don Juan charachter simply as a vessel to get his message across, but the meassage is still valid even if Don Juan isn't real, which is really impossible to specualte about anyway.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No one knows for sure. No one has any evidence that there was no Yaqui. But that doesn't even really matter. What is improtant is that it is a remarkable work explaining the human condition better than any other work fiction or non-fiction that I have ever seen. Do you not agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't agree or disagree here; I never read it. I read about a chapter of "Don Juan" but then I found out that Castaneda apparently made up all of his Yaqui tutelage, so I stopped reading it and sold it on amazon.

But that certainly doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed - like a fellow on the Everything2 page put it, "I love the books (at least the early ones) but prefer to view them as major literary works rather than straightforward anthropology"
Old 05-18-2005, 09:03 AM

Go check out 'Games People Play' and books on Transactional Analysis.

Material from the 60's. Terms are easy to understand. These works are in a field called 'social psychiatry' (different from social psychology) that went by the wayside when medicaitons came into the picture to treat mental conditions.

This area gives a framework for all communictation between individuals and small groups.

If studied and reflected upon it will give you a great understanding on why you and others do the things they do.