Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Take a Great Job or Play Poker?

Blarg....You fold good hands too often don't you. No guts no glory.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:51 AM

One thing I left unsaid: I'm sure all of us are pulling for you to make a good decision for YOU. Best of luck to you!

bill
Old 04-08-2005, 04:02 AM

Oh, I've known a few business consultants, all right.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:57 PM

I'm way late to this party, but I'd like to give my two cents as a college senior graduating in a month. For $70k/year plus benefits, I say that you should go for the job. I do think poker is a good alternative, however, I think it'd be a good idea that you get a feel for working. It's possible that you may even like it. If you don't like it, you always have poker to fall back on. That's a cool place to be.

Also, $70k/year for a fresh college graduate is extremely good. I'm looking at making $18k/yr with no benefits (people treat flight instructors like garbage), so poker looks mighty nice for a guy like me. For you, well, I think you should weigh both options.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
take the job and its not close as everyone has said

a couple things

imo people who play poker for a living dont' find enjoyment in a job that they can get. if you're going through all this education (at an ivy league at that), it seems pointless to not take this great offer

not accepting this offer can really off track your career path. yeah, you can "take a year or two off" to play poker, but this job offer may not be there for you anymore. but poker will always be there if you needed it.

playing part time as a secondary income is a LOT different from playing full time for a living. you won't have any social interaction with co-workers, you'll be cramped up in front of your computer for countless hours. burn out is a serious issue.

also as paluka mentioned, benefits are really really good. poker players don't get health insurance or dental or life and the works, while your job will. imagine if you or a loved one has to have an emergency operation and you have no health insurance. it will cost you tons.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice.