Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Resturant comps and tipping

The bill would have been $194 without comps. Only $98 after comps.

I ended up giving the waitress $200 and telling her to keep the change. Some people I have told about this think I tipped way too much. But because she was a friend of my sister and it would have cost me $250 - with tip - without the comps.

Anyway, this situation comes up every time I am over there and I have wondered if I was over tipping.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:00 PM

You did fine.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You did fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-15-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I ended up giving the waitress $200 and telling her to keep the change. Some people I have told about this think I tipped way too much. But because she was a friend of my sister and it would have cost me $250 - with tip - without the comps.

Anyway, this situation comes up every time I am over there and I have wondered if I was over tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this was the correct move.

I've done the same in similiar circumstances.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You did the right thing and made yourself look like a class act. Ni han, sir.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:09 PM

I thought that I would add this because I think it is relevent.

My buddies and I go to the same bar almost every Saturday night. The bartender is a friend of ours (not to mention very hot) and we, inlcuding the bartender, hate the owner of the bar. We all drink draft beer, usually Yuengling if any cares, and when we get the bill at the end of the night, it has never been more than $10.

There are usually 8 of us there drinking all night, so it is obvious that she is hooking us up big time. We figure that we would have spent on average about $20 each every time we go, so whenever we get the bill, everyone throws in $10. This saves us $10 each, gives our friend the hot bartender chick about a $70-$75 tip, and completely screws the bar owner who we all hate anyway.

I think that this is the perfect way to treat this situation, but I am not sure how the situation would change if our bartender friend was actually the bar owner? I think that we would want to give more money, as we wouldn't want to screw her over.

In the original poster's situation, I would probably tip the amount of the comp, because you would have spent a good bit more if you did not get comped, plus it will make you and the family look good to leave a nice tip.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:18 PM

You can drink all night for $20 apiece? Damn... I haven't been able to do that since college.

To keep on topic, I think your arrangement is quite good for all involved (except the owner, of course).
Old 03-15-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can drink all night for $20 apiece? Damn... I haven't been able to do that since college.

To keep on topic, I think your arrangement is quite good for all involved (except the owner, of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

$20 a piece AVERAGE was what I stated. For me it would be closer to $40 to bottomless $3.00 23-ounce Yuenglings. For some of my friends that drink like girls, it would be closer to $10.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'd have to have a pretty good reason to repeatedly steal from the bar owner
Old 03-15-2005, 04:42 PM

Really the bar owner is probably breaking even on the beer. Draft beer is so cheap. I used to work in a bar, and had a similar arrangment with a few of my friends. Until one of my friends got married and his wife would not let him tip over the amount of the tab. Let's just say he started paying full price for his beer.