Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Multi Table struggles

[ QUOTE ]
There is no player that can win a huge multi-table tournament without help from the deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely you can't "count" on the decks help to consistently get you into position to win. You need to take advantage of every situation and opportunity to get in position to win. Then you need to win a few coinflips and hope your big hands are bigger than someone elses big hands.

Waiting for the deck to bail you out is a long wait.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no player that can win a huge multi-table tournament without help from the deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. Do you mean more than his fair share of premium cards?
Old 02-25-2005, 02:56 PM

"What is a good level to start aggressively stealing? I feel like it's maybe as early as $25/$50 but my gut says $100/$200."

I think 50/100 is a good level to start stealing at.

"What % of your stack should you risk a steal with?"

I'm personally willing to risk my whole stack on a steal or re-steal if I think it's the right play. Then again, I'm willing to risk my whole stack in any situation at any time if I think it's the right play.

"What types of hands should I look to steal with? I'm thinking I would want to steal with hands that could improve like K-x suited or Q-T."

If you're "stealing" you can do it with any 2.

Gavin Griffin
Old 02-25-2005, 03:07 PM

First of all, when you're playing MTTs your target should be placing top 3. Because of the prize structure the times you bust out playing aggressively will be more than compensated by the times you get those prizes at the top.

Just to make a point, I play the $5 and $10 buy-in MTTs (my bankroll doesn't allow me more than that). If I finish 1st at a $5 tourney, I'll make about $1000, or ~200 buy-ins. This is what dictates my style. I try to play my A game and if I bust out, no problem, I'll just come back tomorrow. The effect that this has on online tourneys is MUCH greater than on B&M because of the starting chip stacks.

That said, in my experience the time to start stealing some blinds starts by the middle of the 50/100 level. Your targets should be the players with ~15BB, they're usually the ones playing tighter. Always remember that you want to be the agressor here, the only exception being the occasional slowplay when the situation requires it.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:45 PM

If you put Daniel Negreanu on the party poker $22s(playchips) hes most likely not going to win. Playing a huge multi-table tourney for a good player is like playing the special bingo.( I dunno if they have it on the USA but bingo is a game where the rake is like 40%, ocasionally there will be a special bingo with a guaranteed pot and the house usually loses money.(its like a rake-back))
Old 02-25-2005, 04:53 PM

It's interesting you bring up Daniel because about a year or two ago he wrote an article in Cardplayer stressing the point that if you wait for the deck to help you out more often than not the deck will let you down.

Online MTT's are beatable and profitable for many on this forum and not because the deck is hitting them consistently.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:16 PM

I was in the exact same situation you described last night in the Super on Party. We were nearing the money cutoff(110 left and 80 to the money). I was just moved to different table where most the players had 5k-7k in chips. One person had 10K. I went into the table with a little over 6K. After 5 hands I knew that everyone was playing for the money. The blinds were 250/500 and then went to 300/600. I was raising the blinds from every position with a 2-2.5XBB. I pushed my stack from 6100 to 9200 by the time the 80 players were left

The most astonishing part of the story is I NEVER was called by the blinds, called by any other player or moved in on.....NEVER.

A sure fire way to choose who to pick on is the time they burn. If they are burning clock every hand, you know they won't make a stand unless they have a top 6 hand. These are the players you want to rape.

Another note, I never raised from the button. Everyone that knows anything about poker knows that is a steal position. I usually don't steal from the button unless I am ready to back it up with my stack.

I would definitely say you need not be so timid. It is really difficult to change after you have learned that tight is right. You can accumulate a lot of chips from the meek but raising.

I never had this problem but if you do get called and the other players see you were playing cheese, you may need to tighten up. I actually would rather somebody would raise me off then be checked down and see the junk I was raising with.

I hope this helps and good luck,

Stipe
Old 02-25-2005, 05:21 PM

Exactly.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:21 PM

I never said its correct to wait for aces or to push any two and hope to get lucky. But next time you are on a coinflip or even as a 2-1 favourite ull know what im talking about.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:31 PM

But most of the time, the solid players on here can withstand a bad beat or 2. I was in a tournament 2 days ago where I was HU against opponents who were all-in 3 seperate times when I was holding KK. Once against QQ, once against 99 and once against 55. I was beaten each time, yet I still went on to win the tournament.

Each of those opponents got luck from the deck at least once, but they didn't win the tournament. I was extremely unlucky in those 3 situations yet I managed to win. Why? Because you don't need to be hit with the deck to win a Multitable tournament.