Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 03:27 AM

Default What\'s \"Bad Beat\" mean to you?

I was reading Card Player Magazine online the other day and Phil Hellmuth wrote about losing a hand with K/K against A/J ... The A/J winds up all-in preflop and winds up winning the hand. Naturally, Hellmuth is disgusted. I don't consider this an awfully bad beat. Hellmuth is only a 2:1 favorite. While that is a dominating position, it doesn't make me throw my hands up in disgust.

Try this one: I'm in a hand with K/8 and the flop comes K/9/8 rainbow ... I flopped two pairs ... I make a potsized bet, and someone behind me goes all in. Looking back, I should have folded. I didn't. The odds of someone having a better hand than me right now are 14/1200 approximately. Of course, he turns over K/9 and I don't hit my miracle 8.

A 14/1200 shot at not having the best hand seems like a bad beat to me ... I'm not complaining ... I should have folded. But two pair looks pretty strong with no flush draw and no made straight.

I'm just wondering what others define as a bad beat here ... I think it is an overused term.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: What\'s \"Bad Beat\" mean to you?

Well, there was this thread.

For myself, I know a bad beat when I "feel it" more than when I "see it." Most of the time I get outdrawn I quickly shrug it off. When I can't do that and I have to go into tilt control mode, that was a bad one.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:05 AM

Bad beat? Please.

A better question would be...

Why are you playin K8 in the first place. It's not a bad beat if you are playing trash preflop.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The odds of someone having a better hand than me right now are 14/1200 approximately.

[/ QUOTE ]

im going to assume this is right, but you need to see that youre thinking is very flawed. you say it, as if the hand going all in is a random hand. perhaps the player had never looked at his cards, THEN your assessment would be correct.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 PM

My KQ vs. JT on a QQJ flop at $5/$10 killed to $10/$20 was a pretty bad beat.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:07 PM

YOu were never a favorite in this hand - how is that a bad beat?

A bad beat is losing a hand you should win, and by a large margin - 90% + of the time.

Losing to set over set is never a bad beat, but a very tough beat, as you can't blame the way the opponent played his hand.

Losing your flopped straight to a runner runner flush with the guy holding K high - now that is a bad beat

Me : 78 suited in Diamonds (SB)

Board - 69T Rainbow (one spade)

Turn - 4 Spade

River - J Spade

Him - K5 Spades

All the money was in on that flop.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just wondering what others define as a bad beat here ... I think it is an overused term.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fact, it is an overused term with little or no meaning whatsoever. If you took a "bad beat" you should be happy. If you gave a "bad beat" you should be unhappy. Simple as that.

Regards,

T
Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM

I'm the one who started the other recent thread on this topic. After thinking it over, my view (for what little it's worth) is the following:

1. The term is a misnomer. There are no bad beats, just situations where longshots come in.

2. Given that this is a term we're probably stuck with, I think that for me a has two requirements -- (a) a player was either the favorite when he/she bet (or made the correct bet based on odds even if an underdog), and (b) ultimately was a 5-1 or better favorite to win the pot at some point, and lost anyway.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:58 PM

If you have read TOP every time an opponent makes a mistake you make money. This is the reasoning behind the there are no bad beats argument. I am not sure I agree with it in practice though. When someone rivers a gutshot that they didnt have until the turn, after cold calling you twice, once preflop and once on a check raise. to suck out out on your set of kings with 64o. No pair no draw until after the turn and its the only hand that can beat your top set. That is a bad beat in my opinion. Try dropping ten BB in one hand its gonna take you 100s of hands to make up for this one beat, That to me is a bad beat and always will be.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have read TOP every time an opponent makes a mistake you make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously not EVERY time. I think what you mean to say, is that over the long run, you make money by playing the percentages correctly while your opponents make mistakes. Though on any individual hand, the 'mistake' may pay off.

As to how long it takes you to make up for the one beat that makes you 10BB, probably not hundreds of hands, because any 'average' gain takes into account that you'll have bad beats. I suggest that if the player who took you with the 64o suck out continues to play with you, and s/he is really that bad, you'll have your loss back in a couple of hours tops.

Also one of the signs of a good player is that s/he takes more 'bad beats' than s/he gets, right.

But yeah, it hurts, nonetheless.