Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

I dunno, I can only guess that our hero had a small pair (66/55/44) and decided since he wasn't able to isolate it would be to expensive and too likely he was behind to call down.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:39 PM

The problem for hero is of course the BB. I can see hero's fold as correct if:

1. BB is a tight ABC player who wouldn't expand his requirements for cold-calling a three-bet in an isolation situation.

2. BB is a tough player who is aware of what is going on, still probably has a better hand than hero's i.e. KJ or AT, and hero doesn't like being traped between maniac and tough player with a hand that has a good chance of being dominated or even drawing practically dead.

I would also like to add that although not that likely, you cannot eliminate a big pair for BB despite no four-bet since many players would just call here since he cannot elimate the maniac, and just calling increases expectation post flop, and the maniac may four-bet the pot anyways. (cap is five in vegas so I think I might four-bet AA-QQ if I were the BB in vegas but just call, rather than cap, in Cali since maniacs are more likely to cap "since its gonna get capped anyways...".)
Old 11-21-2004, 02:44 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

Did you have any read on the BB? I think that's among the most important factors here. A tricky player could have a big pair, a straightforward player could have something like AK or JJ, or a loose player could have a wide range of hands. If BB is a LAG, then there's good reason to fear a raise behind him.

Under most circumstances, I think a hand like Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] that he used to isolate the maniac with, has become pretty worthless. I don't understand why everyone is immediately saying the BB made a terrible play without having even the slightest understanding of the BB.

Also, what were the table conditions? Were most players allowing the others to isolate him?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:45 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Not much discussion here. The hero is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't you think that's a bit much given no read on the BB? a tight BB will have a hand like QJ, KJ, or KQ dominated often, and against an aggressive BB, Hero will be putting 1 SB on the flop and often have to fold for 2 more when it comes back to him.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:54 PM

Actually I thought about it a little more walking to work-- if I was the BB and I had AA or KK I might think about playing it the way the BB did. I might not want to cap preflop and risk having the UTG fold. I also can trap the 3-bettor for a few extra bets on the flop by check-raising UTG on the flop or even waiting until the turn.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to disagree with this one.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:30 PM

Okay, I give up. What did he have?
Old 11-21-2004, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mason,

Best regards,

Sucker

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he had a hand like KJ?

-Diplomat
Old 11-21-2004, 04:41 PM

ok ok, maniac shows 72 offsuit...
Old 11-21-2004, 05:08 PM

Ok Mason, the results of the hand is the following: sb raise and beats maniac with JJ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]