Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 11:46 PM

Default my \"bust this MF\" comment

A whole lot of what i did and said rubbed many people the wrong way... if i could do it all over again, no i wouldnt say what i said the way i said it... everyone reacted that it was direct profanity towards greg, i must say that it was not... Throughout the final table, i sensed that david was happy with what he had accomplished and didnt understand the importance in being "World Champion", i was trying to light a fire inside of him by giving him my version of a Vince Lombardi speach [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (damn i say things SO wrong sometimes)... if i had it to do over, i would say the same thing using different words... i had lost my battle with greg, i felt as if either him or I would win the tournament, and david was my final hope for doing my duty of knocking greg out... well anyway.. i hope you understand and i look forward to making more tv appearances so i can show the world that i am not THAT bad and that i am just a very competative person
Josh A
Old 09-23-2004, 11:54 PM

Default Re: my \"bust this MF\" comment

Hey josh,

I don't have TV so I don't know how big of a jerk you may or may not have looked like.

However I do know your sister Shuli and I wonder if you'd tell her Dave Collins said hi, how are you, etc.

(I guess it's kind of ironic, using a famous person to contact an unkown person and not vice versa, but I didn't get a chance to say peace before she left MA and I wouldn't know how to get in touch.)

Anyway, best of luck to you.

NT
Old 09-23-2004, 11:56 PM

I think you should market yourself as the young, brash, "bad boy" of poker.

Start riding a harley into final tables, that sort of thing. There's money to made there!!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:02 AM

After seeing evidence of some of the outright fabrications the ESPN Entertainment people have shown in the WSOP, I really have to wonder why anyone is judging you from what they saw on TV.

A guy could have only a couple heated moments over a week, but be made to look like an idiot on TV.

Well, at least you got paid for the week!

Have fun,
Old 09-24-2004, 12:06 AM

I saw nothing at all wrong with the comment. Maybe it's because I come from the mean streets of Detroit or something, but just because he used the word didn't mean Josh was literally calling Greg a MFer. If he had said "go get him tiger" or something similarly innocuous no one would have had a problem, and it seemed obvious to me that it was intended in that vein.

I think what bugged people more was the AJ hand and the like and we've all been over that a million times yadda yadda. Nice to see you posting here Josh and I hope we can talk some poker.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had said "go get him tiger"

[/ QUOTE ]

That would have been interesting
Old 09-24-2004, 12:33 AM

Hi Josh..I'm one of the guys who has posted that you seemed like an ass on TV...especially with the AJ hand...but through your postings on other forums, interviews, Gregg Raymer and Paul Phillips both saying you're a good guy, I can certainly conceed that you may very well have been a victim of both your competiveness and slanted editing...so I say welcome to the forums and I look forward to reading more about your poker exploits and gleaning any knowledge you feel like passing along to us non-pros.

As for the MF comment...that's just good TV.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2004, 12:36 AM

A poker player should have some class even if he is a competitive person. I understand getting pumped up and over excited and saying something you normally wouldn't say.... Josh said things that he shouldn't have said too many times. The worst was when he beat that guy and then stood over him yelling about going to war. You beat the guy Josh, just sit back and enjoy it, don't rub it in his face. Josh is a very good player but could be a better player if he would play with a little more class.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:03 AM

Default Josh you are the man

[ QUOTE ]
A whole lot of what i did and said rubbed many people the wrong way... if i could do it all over again, no i wouldnt say what i said the way i said it... everyone reacted that it was direct profanity towards greg, i must say that it was not... Throughout the final table, i sensed that david was happy with what he had accomplished and didnt understand the importance in being "World Champion", i was trying to light a fire inside of him by giving him my version of a Vince Lombardi speach [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (damn i say things SO wrong sometimes)... if i had it to do over, i would say the same thing using different words... i had lost my battle with greg, i felt as if either him or I would win the tournament, and david was my final hope for doing my duty of knocking greg out... well anyway.. i hope you understand and i look forward to making more tv appearances so i can show the world that i am not THAT bad and that i am just a very competative person
Josh A

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn right you are. Youve got the heart, i hope that someday you go the distance. great TV with Great Poker playing. Peace. [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2004, 01:07 AM

Josh,

I don't know you from adam, but you showed up here trying to explain yourself, so you're more or less asking for some feedback.

A person's character comes out when they do things that are stressfull.

A person of character would not have said what you did. However, should they somehow have managed to do that, they would have the class and humility to simply apologize for being an ass.

You came across as a classless jerk because you acted like a classless jerk. If you don't want to be thought of as a classless jerk (and by coming here to give your explaination it suggests you don't) then stop acting like one.

A good start would be to set aside the bullshit explainations where you explain how what you said isn't really what you said, but you meant something else that was really just a nice friendly statement, but it just kind of came out wrong. No one who has ever been taught how to act with grace under preassure buys it.

Try this:

"yeah, i acted like an ass, and I'm ashamed of that. I wish I had not of done it. It was unnecessary and was something I did for no reason other than I was excited and stressed and tired and I really regret it."

Then the next time you're playing .. maybe you'll remember to act towards others the way I'm sure your parents taught you instead of like the guy we saw at the WSOP.