Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Lay this down on the turn?

why give random overcards and gutshots the pot odds to draw out?

The pot is not that big (and its always possible that you get "drawn out" on even with a raise). You don't just have A7o top pair, you have the nut flush draw, and having the nut flush draw in a 6, 7, or 8 handed pot is obviously better than having the nut flush draw in a 3 or 4 handed pot. In this particular situation, I would argue that more of his hand's value comes from having the nut flush draw than comes from having top pair of 7s. Put another way, you make considerably more money with a nut flush draw in an 8 way pot rather than a 3-4 way pot. I think you might also make more money with a smallish top pair/nut flush draw in an 8 way pot than in a 3 or 4 way pot. Even if you don't make more by calling per se, its so close that a raise is far from mandatory in this situation.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Lay this down on the turn?

Hi Casey,

I think you need to raise the flop. You have a super draw and need to chase out the overcards in case you don't hit your flush. Those who want to come along for the ride are more than welcome, and those straight and flush draws certainly will. I am indifferent about your turn cap. If you didn't cap it, someone else would have. With that pot, you are going to see the river.