Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 06-25-2004, 07:11 PM

Default omaha or hold \'um

hold 'um is more fun but omaha is easier to win at?
who agrees?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Re: omaha or hold \'um

[ QUOTE ]
hold 'um is more fun but omaha is easier to win at?
who agrees?

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess it depends on the personality type. I personally don't think hold'em is fun. I can play it and so far I'm a long-term winner but to me it is work. PL Omaha and PL Omaha/8, however, I've really started to enjoy, especially the high game. I'm just trying to learn, and more or less breaking even overall in that game, but it is really a fun game for me. I guess the constant suckouts in hold'em get to me after a while [bad beat stories omitted by request].
Old 06-27-2004, 02:52 AM

I think there are more suck outs in PLO and O8 then in HE. Where can you go from having Nut/Nut and go to last on the river?
Old 06-27-2004, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there are more suck outs in PLO and O8 then in HE. Where can you go from having Nut/Nut and go to last on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Made hands hold up a lot better in holdem than in Omaha or Omaha-8, and in holdem strong hands are a lot less vulnerable to bluffs when scare cards hit on later streets than in either Omaha game. And hands differ much more in value preflop in holdem than in Omaha or Omaha-8. Even if you get all-in with aces double suited in Omaha high, you're only about a 2-1 favorite over another high pair, and only about 3-2 against a hand like 8765 of the other suits (while in holdem AA is 4-1 against KK, and utterly destroys AK). And if there's still a lot of money to bet after the flop, you can easily have the worst of it with aces out of position in Omaha.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:14 PM

NL hold'em tournaments are my favorite, multi-table of single.

Ring games, I like PLO and limit O8/b. Actually the order should be switched. PLO is fun, but it takes so much discipline - talk about a battle between a made hand and a drawing hand. It blows to put in a couple of pot sized bets, then have to fold at the river. I once went 100 hands with-out even winning a pot.

Low limit O8/b is fun for me, I haven't burned through a buy-in in months, it is the most consistantly profitable game I have ever played. i can see how high limit can be drudgery though. If you only have 3-4 people seeing a flop, you have to play pretty tight I imagine.

There is too much variance in limit hold'em for me, and ntot much excitement.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:41 PM

Omaha ring games are fun, but I hate omaha tournaments. I don't know why that is, I just do. Anybody else feel this way about Omaha?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:43 AM

I find that in a tournament it matters less what game you'r playing than the dynamics of the tournament system. No-Limit Hold'um or Pot-Limit Omaha play quite similar in this case.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[snip] Even if you get all-in with aces double suited in Omaha high, you're only about a 2-1 favorite over another high pair, [snip

[/ QUOTE ]
Admittedly, this is a pretty one-sided example but I think your advantage is better than 2-1 here:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> http://twodimes.net/h/?z=382198
pokenum -mc 500000 -o ah 6h ad 5d - kc ks 8d 3h
Omaha Hi: 500000 sampled boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ad 5d Ah 6h 396447 79.29 103553 20.71 0 0.00 0.793
Ks Kc 8d 3h 103553 20.71 396447 79.29 0 0.00 0.207
</pre><hr />
Old 06-30-2004, 11:28 AM

No, no. Assuming that by 'suckout' you mean a hand bucking the odds to win - not just a draw hitting - then Omaha has far fewer suckouts than Hold 'Em.

It is a lot easier to get into situations on the flop in Omaha where you pretty much know your odds, whether that be your odds of holding up (with, say, top set) or your odds of hitting (eg. nut flush and straight draws).