Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

View Poll Results: Smokers?
yes 34 33.01%
no 69 66.99%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2004, 02:39 PM

Default World Series of Poker entry fee

I hope I don't sound like an elitest snob by asking this question, I doubt if I will ever play in the WSOP regardless of the entry fee. But if the WSOP wants to remain the World Series, shouldn't they raise the buy in to the final NLHE event? In the early 70's, $10,000 would buy two pretty nice sedans. Now it's only about half a compact car. Inquiring minds want to know what others think.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: World Series of Poker entry fee

Not to come off sharp, but the thread's been done before...
Old 05-11-2004, 11:05 PM

You should first ask yourself what would I achieve in raising the entry fee? I believe the answer would be that you would narrow the field down so that you will be less likely to find the best players at the final table but will find the best wealithiest players.

Pretty useless to raise the entry fee by more than 20% IMHO.

Jimbo
Old 05-12-2004, 06:32 AM

"I believe the answer would be that you would narrow the field down so that you will be less likely to find the best players at the final table but will find the best wealithiest players."

however, for the first several years of the event the whole 'wealthy-player' aspect was probably even more of a factor wasn't it??

10k is a more common championship-event buy-in now (i don't know how many...but i'll guess there are maybe 10 events in the 10k range??)
i dont have a big problem with the WSOP raising it to 15k or even 25k. would certainly be interesting to see how it affects the size of the field if they did.

OTOH....i kind of like the idea of almost 2k players this year. wish i was one of them....oh well, maybe next year.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should first ask yourself what would I achieve in raising the entry fee? I believe the answer would be that you would narrow the field down so that you will be less likely to find the best players at the final table but will find the best wealithiest players.

Pretty useless to raise the entry fee by more than 20% IMHO.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

My intent on raising the fee would be to:
A) Narrow the field and hopefully minimize the luck factor,
B) Keep the prestige associated with the name WSOP by making it the most expensive to enter, and of course the richest payout.

As to the argument that if you raise the fee you are only finding the best rich player, then lets lower it to $100 and then I can see if I measure up. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2004, 12:04 PM

When this question was raised on the NVG forum, Ray Zee pointed out that the buyin has remained at $10,000 because of regulatory requirements that a special form be filed in connection with transactions involving more than $10,000 cash.

Although some WPT events have a $25,000 buyin, the "World Series of Poker" retains its mystique.

The main event will not likely be raised above $10,000 until several star players decide to sit out the WSOP because they make more money elsewhere.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:44 PM

I plan to play next year and I won't be trying to qualify. Raising it significantly would be very painful.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to come off sharp, but the thread's been done before...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Avatar
Old 05-12-2004, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I plan to play next year and I won't be trying to qualify. Raising it significantly would be very painful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you be trying to qualify? If you're a decent player, I wouldn't think qualifying would be more expensive than buying an entrance.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you be trying to qualify? If you're a decent player, I wouldn't think qualifying would be more expensive than buying an entrance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't believe in satellites/qualifiers in general. The players in them are always stronger than equivalent cash tournaments and I think theres more value in playing your normal games to build up the entry.

I may have a few shots in qualifiers but I don't plan to devote too much time to it.