Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-05-2005, 04:29 AM

Default Help with this hand please.

Prima NL$10 10 Handed

No real reads only sat down for about one orbit. So far very passive preflop, lots of limping.

Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in CO.

Preflop: 2 Folds, Call, Fold, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Thoughts: Limp A10o here? Probably should have raised?

Flop: 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to hero who bets the pot, 0.40. BB calls, others fold.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets 1.00, BB raises 1.00, Hero raises 5.00, BB calls all in for 3.50.

thoughts: seems horrible afterwards, thinking at the time the BB could have hit a lower 2 pair with the ace on the turn. BB only had 3.50 left after the raise so i figured put it all in with top 2 pair.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

So thoughts please... tell me where I went wrong. Pretty inexperienced at NL and need some constructive criticism.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Help with this hand please.

Raise preflop to buy the button and cut down on the field a little bit. You're strong enough to do that from the CO with only one limper before you.

Flop is fine. Turn is OK, given stack sizes. If he had a set, you'd think he'd do something about it on the flop. 35 is probably your main concern here, but you'll see BB two-pair specials enough at this level to make it OK to get your stack in the middle. If you would have raised preflop, he probably folds the likely hand that beats you, 35. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 04:44 AM

I prefer to make it about 3x the BB myself.Besides narrowing the field,it defines your opponents hands better.If you let the blinds limp in,they could have anything,& this will make it harder to know what to do later in the hand.
You played it find after the flop,imo.But,as noted,you wouldn't have to give as much consideration to hands like 44,22,or 53 if you had raised before the flop.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 PM

And sure enough that is what he had, 35.

The reason I posted this is because I find it easy to let the result of the hand affect how I think about how I played it... looking back at it the minraise on the turn could indicate strength but with his small stack I dont see how I could really get away from it - especially at this level where a minraise could mean anything and could just be fishiness.

I guess in the future I know to raise A10 in that position.