Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-26-2005, 07:31 AM

Default NL$100 6max. Top two against unknown.

This hand from last night has bothered me a little. I have less than 20 hands on this guy, so PA isn't showing me anything, and I was stressed out from 4-tabling at the time, so I hadn't picked up any reads atall (like how he got those extra $38 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). I cut back a table right after this hand. 4-tabling 6max NL is too stressful.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Button ($100.95)
SB ($137.75)
BB ($109.37)
Hero ($320.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($9) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $133.75 (all-in)</font>, Hero..?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: NL$100 6max. Top two against unknown.

Hmm, QJ, TT, KT, AT, AK.. I'm thinking fold.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:42 AM

i fold in this spot.. if villain is bluffing, oh well. you only lost $12. but it looks like he has the nuts and wants to make you think he's bluffing.

wait for a better spot and stack him.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:50 AM

I suppose since you were 4 tabling you don't really remember what your image would have looked like in those &lt;20 hands with villian. Any reason to believe that he thinks you are crazy at this point?

Anyway with no reads I think I let this go. You raised UTG and there is a flop of broadways which villian should know could easily have hit you hard (and it did). I think he probably has two-pair, a set or the straight leaning more towards the latter two. I think I give him the pot this time and then pay really close attention to him as this is a very odd move.

Too bad you don't have time to easily check how he won the 38 bucks in &lt;20 hands. If I saw something similar in that hand(s) it might push me to a call.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:56 AM

I'd put him on two pair (ATo perhaps), I see a lot of pushes with two pair on coordinated flops. It's like the fishes sense possible danger so they push in order to avoid difficult choices (you know, like folding to a re-re-raise).

Without a read, you'd assume that most players aren't complete maniacs, so I don't think he'd destroy his nuts by pushing you out with an all-in bet. Of course, it could be a set of tens, but I think I'd gamble and call.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 AM

This is actually a WA/WB scenario though I doubt most people will think of it that way. If you are ahead, villain has 2-6 outs (2 for a worse two pair or bafflingly-played underpair, 4 for a AQ/AJ/KQ/KJ, 6 for QT/JT) and, if you are behind, you have 0-4 outs (0 against AA (well; running kings would technically win you the pot but that's too rare to count as an out), 2 against KK, 4 against TT or the straight). Without a read or a strong feeling about it, I give him credit this time but I keep an eye on him to see if he does this often and, if so, what he ends up showing down.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:24 AM

I don't know how my table image appeared in those 20 hands. But I was playing my normal 25/15 preflop game so if he was paying attention to the table before he sat down (unlikely), he would have me pegged as a preflop aggressive.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Results

I folded.

He pushed in his stack over a bet with A6 on an A-high river with no 6 on the board an orbit or so later though, so I didn't feel too good about the fold after I saw that obviously. But it seems the general opinion is it is a good fold against an unknown, so I rest assured.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:08 PM

He is risking $133.75 to win $17.

X*-133.75 +(100-X)*17 = 0
X = 11.28

So this needs to succeed for him 88.72% of the time to be profitable. You can wait for a better spot. It is a small pot.

If my math is wrong, someone please tell me. I've never done calculations for NL.